title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replay Gain model lost

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Replay Gain model lost

A right bummer. My laptop broke a while ago, so have a new one and have been reloading stuff. All good so far.
    BUT I have used ReplayGain Album tags on all my FLACs, and I know I didn't use the default settings or even which one. I THINK (99% sure) it was EBU R 128 but what the LUFS Target Volume was I have no idea! I know it wasn't the default -18 though, I remember it being too quiet for my taste.

So - is there anything in the tags that says what scheme or LUFS was used? Or if not, can anyone remember what most people usually set it to? -16? -14?
    Having ReplayGain to normalise volume when the new tags no longer match won't be much good!

Ta in advance

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Replay Gain model lost

Did you backup anything on the laptop, before it broke, like the registry?

How many flacs do you have, you could consider re-writing the RG tags for all flacs?

Most use -18 lufs target.
    Last edited by mville; 08-06-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Administrator

Take an existing file, look at the replaygain values, then run replaygain again on that album, adjust until you get the same first values.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post

How many flacs do you have, you could consider re-writing the RG tags for all flacs?

Early on, the default RG in dbpa was -23 LUFS. That was too quiet for me too. I was using -18 instead (as it matched up well with the older ReplayGain model). dbpa later changed default to -18. Perhaps you were using -18 too.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Take an existing file, look at the replaygain values, then run replaygain again on that album, adjust until you get the same first values.
    Good idea, I may try that.

I do have a system backup, whether that contains such things as the registry I don;t know. And it was an entirely different machine (Intel Windows 7, new one is AMD Windows 10). I suppose it may be possible to have a look but I wouldn't really know where to start!

I have around 10,000 tracks/files - not something I'd like to redo!

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Early on, the default RG in dbpa was -23 LUFS. That was too quiet for me too. I was using -18 instead (as it matched up well with the older ReplayGain model). dbpa later changed default to -18. Perhaps you were using -18 too.
    Ahhh -23 rings a bell. When was it changed? I can't remember when I had the original dbpa and codec installed, but I guess around 3 years ago for the codec - or if it is in dbpa instead, that would have been nearer 5 years ago.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies/suggestions! Minor panic over

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Excellent. Just did what Spoon suggested. -18 matched it, so that is what it was. I must have had the older one with -23 default
    Thanks again all

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by timster67 View Post
    Excellent. Just did what Spoon suggested. -18 matched it, so that is what it was. I must have had the older one with -23 default
    Thanks again all
    Yes, that was a good idea, as long as you are certain all 10,000 flacs were tagged the same.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes, that was a good idea, as long as you are certain all 10,000 flacs were tagged the same.
    Yup, I did all my library in batches at the same time. New things added used the same since.