title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Digital destortion of tracks when ripping into 16/44 KHZ mono

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mallanikkelsen
    • Sep 2018

Digital destortion of tracks when ripping into 16/44 KHZ mono

Hello there

Reasontly, a strange issue has arisen, and I cant quite find out how to fix it.

I have reasontly purchased some audio CD's containing old BBC radio material. I am in the process of ripping these onto my harddrive, however, as this is only mono-stuff from the 40'es I am using the DSP setting to make the channel count into 1, so that I am ripping in mono, and thereby saving space on my harddrive.
    The only thing I am changing in the dsp action menue is the channel count, and nothing else. Now the strange thing is happening. Whenever this setting is on, I am getting slight destortion on my tracks, just as when to much normalization has been added to a file and clipping is acurring. Whenever I am removing the DSP setting, all is fine, and the tracks ripps ok.

I have tried with 2 diffrent drives, but everything is the same. I have of course also checked that I have not accidentily added the volume normalize feature from the DSP settings menue, however I havent.

Does anyone has an idea of what is going on here?

All the best from Allan
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Digital destortion of tracks when ripping into 16/44 KHZ mono

Redbook audio CDs always contain 2 channels of audio, even if the audio is mono, so when you rip the CD, CD Ripper is summing 2 mono channels to 1 channel, hence the distortion.

Try using the Channel Mapper DSP.

Comment

• mallanikkelsen
      • Sep 2018

Thanks for your swift reply. It does make sense, and to be honest I hadnt thaught about that being the case, especially not as I have ripped alot of other mono-titles before using the channel count=1 DSP and experienced no destortion. This is the first time this has happened to me.

Can you please elaborate a bit on how to use the channel mapper correctly?

All the best from Allan

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Try clicking the help button in the Channel Mapper DSP settings.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

In short, use channel mapper, 1 channel, set Channel 1 from channel 1 (0dB, 100%)
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Nubben
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Apr 2008

Spoon, I recently ripped the Beatles Mono CD box set. Should I have used this channel mapper or is it “safe” to just use the DBPA default settings?

many thanks!

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Nubben
              Spoon, I recently ripped the Beatles Mono CD box set. Should I have used this channel mapper or is it &*8220;safe&*8221; to just use the DBPA default settings?

many thanks!
              safe to use default. that's what I used to rip Beatles Mono set.
              Last edited by garym; 08-14-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Nubben
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Apr 2008

Many thanks Gary!

Comment

Working...

]]>