title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: What is the right way to start?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19

    What is the right way to start?

    Hi
    I am totally new at this. I have a macbook 1Tb ssd.

    so far I have rip and re-rip my music. Today a friend of mine asked me to share with him a piece. I could not find it in itunes.

    my Q:
    What is the "right way" to start anew with DBP (for mac)?

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,886

    Re: What is the right way to start?


  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    and refer to the Online Help for Apple OS X

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Thank you spoon. Truly.

    I studied it.

    Q1: in the "naming" can i have something like: Composer/Title/tract (name or *). In Itunes the default wrote : artist/orchestra/Title etc. or something of the sort. Which is absolutely useless for "search" or knowing what is playing on an iphone as the beginning of the text appears and dissappear before all is showing.
    Q2:Should I register with the DBPA the "naming" as composer/title/tract name... will it show as is when I import it to mac itunes?
    Q3: Do you have any insight I am overlooking into this?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Thx Mville

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeleterMann View Post
    Q1: in the "naming" can i have something like: Composer/Title/tract (name or *). In Itunes the default wrote : artist/orchestra/Title etc. or something of the sort. Which is absolutely useless for "search" or knowing what is playing on an iphone as the beginning of the text appears and dissappear before all is showing.
    Q2:Should I register with the DBPA the "naming" as composer/title/tract name... will it show as is when I import it to mac itunes?
    FYI, in CD Ripper, Path and Naming are used to set the location of the ripped audio output folders and filenames on a drive or network share only, not the tags/metadata of your audio files.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    FYI, in CD Ripper, Path and Naming are used to set the location of the ripped audio output folders and filenames on a drive or network share only, not the tags/metadata of your audio files.

    Do you mean that on my external drive it will be assigned as I wish for instance:
    Bach sonata *1
    Bach sonata *2
    Bach cantata *1
    Bach cantata *2
    but this form of classification cannot be imported as is in itunes?

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeleterMann View Post
    Do you mean that on my external drive it will be assigned as I wish for instance:
    Bach sonata *1
    Bach sonata *2
    Bach cantata *1
    Bach cantata *2
    but this form of classification cannot be imported as is in itunes?
    No, I am simply saying that Path and Naming refer to the output destination filepath/filename only and not your tags/metadata.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    God... I don't understand. My vocabulary is not devellopped well enough to understand this.

    I would love sooooo much to do this well once for all.
    Would someone give a class. Does someone live not too too far from Montreal? I would travel and pay ....

  10. #10
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Yes, it is a steep learning curve, so take your time. What is it you do not understand?

    Please ask questions if there is something you don't understand, there are users here that will help you.

  11. #11
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Agree with mville. Go slow. Get the basics down and ask questions here. We can provide lots of help (but not much when the question is too general). I'd start with making sure I understand which metadata tags I want in my files. This is way, way more complicated with classical music. But there are many tags that can hold relevant info above and beyond just COMPOSER. Try to digest the different tags you want added. Then from there, we can help in terms of making the file naming and directory organization being what you want. The program is super flexible and can do almost anything you want. But the flexibility comes at a price (with all the options, there is more to learn). Also make sure you review these docs linked below. And also on almost every page of the program there are little ? inside circles. These are help screens. Be sure to click on these for more info. And do go through the CD Ripper program and click on every menu item and every submenu item. Not that you need all these, but just to get a feel for all the different sections of the program there are (and maybe something will come to mind as you look for settings).

    http://dbpoweramp.com/Help/dMC/
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide.htm

    The good news is that once you have everything setup to suit you for ripping different kinds of CDs (different genres, multiCD sets, compilations, etc.) you'll rarely ever touch the settings again. I haven't messed with my settings for years and I've ripped many thousands of CDs. But it did take a bit of learning to get started.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Yes, it is a steep learning curve, so take your time. What is it you do not understand?
    Please ask questions if there is something you don't understand, there are users here that will help you.


    OK thx mville.
    Q1: how to I save to an external hard drive please? (I will save in alac but I know how to do that) I read the start from Spoon.
    thx

  13. #13
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeleterMann View Post
    Yes, it is a steep learning curve, so take your time. What is it you do not understand?
    Please ask questions if there is something you don't understand, there are users here that will help you.


    OK thx mville.
    Q1: how to I save to an external hard drive please? (I will save in alac but I know how to do that) I read the start from Spoon.
    thx
    Lower left side of CD ripper screen. See picture attached.
    Capture.JPG
    Click set and browse to the path that has your external drive top level folder you want to write to. (note in my picture, this is C:\TempFlacFiles). Then when you rip, it will place your files here (named with subfolders based on the dynamic naming string you use just below this). If you want to simply copy already ripped files to your external drive, you can use any file copy software to copy from your computer to the attached drive or NAS.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Agree with mville. Go slow. Get the basics down and ask questions here. We can provide lots of help (but not much when the question is too general). I'd start with making sure I understand which metadata tags I want in my files. This is way, way more complicated with classical music. But there are many tags that can hold relevant info above and beyond just COMPOSER. Try to digest the different tags you want added. Then from there, we can help in terms of making the file naming and directory organization being what you want. The program is super flexible and can do almost anything you want. But the flexibility comes at a price (with all the options, there is more to learn). Also make sure you review these docs linked below. And also on almost every page of the program there are little ? inside circles. These are help screens. Be sure to click on these for more info. And do go through the CD Ripper program and click on every menu item and every submenu item. Not that you need all these, but just to get a feel for all the different sections of the program there are (and maybe something will come to mind as you look for settings).

    http://dbpoweramp.com/Help/dMC/
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide.htm

    The good news is that once you have everything setup to suit you for ripping different kinds of CDs (different genres, multiCD sets, compilations, etc.) you'll rarely ever touch the settings again. I haven't messed with my settings for years and I've ripped many thousands of CDs. But it did take a bit of learning to get started.
    Thx garym.
    Actually I think I know how I want it classified on an external HD. I only have classical music. I just don't know how to do it.
    What I want is to classify the music by composer first like
    Albinoni
    Bach
    Beethoven
    Handel Should I at one point later in time add music from Chopin i want it to be added in between Beethoven and handel.

    Next:
    all composers if I click on their respective folder should be subdivided into :
    sonata for piano
    sonata for violin
    sonata for "what ever as I add it.
    cantata
    concerto
    vocal
    should I at a later time add symphony as a first sub folder I want it to be inserted in between concerto and vocal.

    then as a 2nd subset the title of the piece should be added.
    then conductor
    then orchestra
    then artist or artists.

    this is what I don't know how to do it. And this is my question (beside how to save all this on an external hard drive. I don't know how to send the ripped music to an external hard drive.
    Do not worry I purpose to study the two link you gave me. I have not yet. I also have to try what spoon wrote.

    If you can answer those Q I would be sooo happy.
    thx guys
    p.s. do not forget to consider give classes :-) :-) :-)

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19

    Re: What is the right way to start?

    Hey... I saved on my external drive under a folder called: DBPowerAmp. The music saved is called: Albinoni/cantata/title/conductor.m4a. (12 of them) I did not create a folder called Albinoni.
    Q; IF I create a folder called albinoni in DBPowerAmp folder, and move the music from DBPowerAmp folder, to Albinoni folder is that going to "Fup" the DBP application?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •