title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

  1. #1
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    67

    Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    Hello! I've looked at the TuneFusion customizing settings and clicked on the question mark in the app itself to get information but alas... I am a newby to this stuff. Would you help me to find any in depth reading on how to choose which type and configure volume normalizing and correct settings for Trim Silence in TuneFusion??

    My goal is to use TuneFusion as it's intended.. to make my archived music portable but I want the best quality possible and have little to no understanding of levels, the +- numbers involved or what best practices are. Any help is appreciated. Thank YOU!!

    -Barry

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,922

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    The default settings are normally the correct settings for any function if you do not have a specific need to customize.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    67

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    Hey Spoon! My initial reaction is that it doesn't work as I do have the default DSP for volume normalize in there however upon further thinking.. I believe I may have a different issue. Maybe nothing can be done but just in case you have some thoughts or possible solution.. here goes: This is simple.. Playlists.. I make playlists that bring together several different albums from different artists. some of the tracks are noticeably quieter than others when playing back the playlist. I use Samsung Music player on my Android phone and on my PC I've had MediaMonkey Analyze the volume for all tracks in my collection so there's track volume info there for every single track. I've also selected "Smart Volume" in the Samsung Music app which should do what it says and adjust all tracks to the same volume. I believed that the "smart volume" setting should work if there were track volume info available but it doesn't. Any thoughts on this??

    Thank you, Barry DfaultVM.jpg
    Last edited by badelman; 07-11-2019 at 06:14 PM.

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,922

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    That will volume normalize it, another option is to try a different player - foobar2000 mobile will apply the volume normalize on playback.

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    67

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    Spoon, unsure exactly what your last reply means however I've gone ahead and added "ReplayGain (apply)" for Track and set the check box to calculate missing values. And am checking out Foobar2000 player as well as VLC as well as they both seem to support ReplayGain and that appears to be the solution to:

    "I make playlists that bring together several different albums from different artists. some of the tracks are noticeably quieter than others when playing back the playlist AFTER SYNCING W/TuneFUSION. I use Samsung Music player on my Android phone and on my PC I've had MediaMonkey Analyze the volume for all tracks in my collection so there's track volume info there for every single track." Thoughts?

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    67

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by badelman View Post
    Spoon, unsure exactly what your last reply means however I've gone ahead and added "ReplayGain (apply)" for Track and set the check box to calculate missing values. And am checking out Foobar2000 player as well as VLC as well as they both seem to support ReplayGain and that appears to be the solution to:

    "I make playlists that bring together several different albums from different artists. some of the tracks are noticeably quieter than others when playing back the playlist AFTER SYNCING W/TuneFUSION. I use Samsung Music player on my Android phone and on my PC I've had MediaMonkey Analyze the volume for all tracks in my collection so there's track volume info there for every single track." Thoughts?
    Ok, ALL RELATED TO VOLUME OF TRACKS AND TRYING TO GET IT RIGHT! after spending more time w/Tunefusion, reading all the help files.. I still have some confusion leading to some questions.

    1. There are three places I see Replay Gain. Replay Gain, Replay Gain(apply) and ReplayGain(track gain) under Volume Normalize. What's the difference in the first two DSP's?

    2. I'm guessing that the ReplayGain(track gain) under Volume Normalize does just what volume normalize does thus changing the audio file unlike *1 above. Is that correct?

    3. I just ran a pass using EBU R128(track gain) in volume normalize as it's the newer concept so Jury's out and I'll report back. I am using Foobar2000 as you suggest but notice that right now the volume per track goes from loud to quiet and then staying at the quieter level for the remainder of the song in Foobar2000. That is frustrating to say the least! This is why I'm trying other stuff and trying to learn (see above). Any thoughts on what's happening here!

    I'm sure answers to all of this will help many using TuneFusion!

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,922

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    If you want to apply the volume to the tracks, you are best with Volume Normalize, which does the 2 steps in one.

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    67

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by badelman View Post
    Ok, ALL RELATED TO VOLUME OF TRACKS AND TRYING TO GET IT RIGHT! after spending more time w/Tunefusion, reading all the help files.. I still have some confusion leading to some questions.

    1. There are three places I see Replay Gain. Replay Gain, Replay Gain(apply) and ReplayGain(track gain) under Volume Normalize. What's the difference in the first two DSP's?

    2. I'm guessing that the ReplayGain(track gain) under Volume Normalize does just what volume normalize does thus changing the audio file unlike *1 above. Is that correct?

    3. I just ran a pass using EBU R128(track gain) in volume normalize as it's the newer concept so Jury's out and I'll report back. I am using Foobar2000 as you suggest but notice that right now the volume per track goes from loud to quiet and then staying at the quieter level for the remainder of the song in Foobar2000. That is frustrating to say the least! This is why I'm trying other stuff and trying to learn (see above). Any thoughts on what's happening here!

    I'm sure answers to all of this will help many using TuneFusion!
    Spoon, As I am trying to learn and understand... would you please give an answer to my question *1 and *3? Thank you

  9. #9
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,349

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    1. ReplayGain just writes the info to a tag to be used by a player. ReplayGain(apply) actually modifies the audio itself to change volume. One does not need a ReplayGain capable player in the second case.

    3. This is not the way it should work (abrupt change in volume). . However it is true tha use of ReplayGain typically REDUCES the volume of a track or album. Most ReplayGain values are negative.

  10. #10
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    67

    Re: Volume Normalize and Trim Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    1. ReplayGain just writes the info to a tag to be used by a player. ReplayGain(apply) actually modifies the audio itself to change volume. One does not need a ReplayGain capable player in the second case.

    3. This is not the way it should work (abrupt change in volume). . However it is true tha use of ReplayGain typically REDUCES the volume of a track or album. Most ReplayGain values are negative.
    Spoon, after running some conversions using just a few playlists/folders here's what I've experienced: Using this setting for ReplayGain DSP

    A. Just using "Volume Normalize" w/EBU R128 (track gain) AND specifying track/apply gain in replay gain settings in Foobar2000 does not give a desired result. What I hear back does not sound like same volume level tracks

    B. I got rid of the Volume Normalize settings and used ReplayGain w/track & album gain DSP WHILE specifying track/apply gain in "Replay Gain" settings in Foobar2000. I still hear varying volumes between tracks in different albums AND I do notice that TuneFusion added a lot of Track Peak but no track gain with the DSP settings I've described here... not satisfied

    C. I got rid of the Volume Normalize settings and used ReplayGain w/track & album gain DSP. After conversion I used Foobar2000 to scan "per-file track gain" AND again specified track/apply gain in replay gain settings in Foobar2000. After loading everything back into Foobar2000 I am getting the desired result! ***GOOD!** // Note: I also got the same result in "C" above by scanning all files/audio in mediamonkey using volume analyze after conversion in TuneFusion.


    So... Million Dollar Question: Why the TuneFusion replaygain DSP didn't just do the trick by itself as initially scanned with track & album gain?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •