title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Importing album details from a previous rip

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Importing album details from a previous rip

Hi all.

One of the things that's really getting me down about dbpa is that I have to enter all the album details from scratch every time. It's a bit of a chore when I have a multi-disc set & every time I have to re-enter the same details over & over.

I have a very specific way of naming my stuff (albums & album artists in particular) & the defaults are never what I want. In iTunes, as soon as I start typing anything, it auto-completes & I can choose the thing I've used previously.

Based on how amazing this software seems to be & what a superb knowledge base this is turning out to be, there must be a way to save me a lot of hard work!

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Importing album details from a previous rip

Why not just rip with the default album/artist names. then when done with that set, open the files using dbpa batch converter, and you can change all the album names and album artist names in the set to whatever you want in a single step. (You'd only have to enter the album name once, then you'd replace all the album name tags with one click). And you can also use the "arrange audio" DSP to rename and/or move any of the files to match your new tag names.

edit: this is what I do when I have a large box set (e.g., the 14 disk Bob Dylan Rolling Thunder Review recent release). When ripping I don't really care what album name comes up. All I care about is that the disc tag gets the proper number (1/14, 2/14, etc.).
    Last edited by garym; 07-05-2019 at 09:34 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

That sounds like a great idea!

Except I don't really understand this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    And you can also use the "arrange audio" DSP to rename and/or move any of the files to match your new tag names.
    Perhaps you could say that again with different words, for mister thicko, here?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    That sounds like a great idea!

Except I don't really understand this bit:

Perhaps you could say that again with different words, for mister thicko, here?
    You want your file names/folders to be correct. So after you fix the metadata, you will likely want to rename your files/folders to be consistent. First you may need to download and install the ARRANGE AUDIO DSP (I don't think it is installed by default). Find it here:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

Once installed, when you select your files (e.g., all the files from a single box set that you just changed the ALBUM name and ALBUM ARTIST name using the ID TAG processing to be what you want), you then select "CONVERT TO" with he batch converter, then choose [ARRANGE AUDIO] as the utility DSP that you are converting to (e.g., instead of something like FLAC or LAME, etc.). Then within this DSP you'll see the options as to how you want to name and organize these files based on tag info. This is similar to what you've already done when you have the file naming settings within the CD ripper). Same idea....using tag info to change/create folders and give correct names to the files.