title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Changing sleeve art after the fact

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snowdog
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2019

Changing sleeve art after the fact

So, having added my chosen sleeve art to the CDs before ripping, I noticed that the default sleeve art is still showing & is the "folder.jpg" file.

Did a bit of reading & have established that I need to delete the default sleeve art first. A bit clunky but not a problem.

I'm just wondering whether I can now go in & update the few CDs I ripped before I discovered this?

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Changing sleeve art after the fact

Yes, right click on the files >> Edit ID Tags (if using Windows). The folder.jpg file you can delete.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• snowdog
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2019

Thank you! Works on a Mac, too!

What a fantastic resource this place is!

Don't suppose you happen to know where I tell the software what to call the image rather than the default "folder.jpg"?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by snowdog
        Thank you! Works on a Mac, too!

What a fantastic resource this place is!

Don't suppose you happen to know where I tell the software what to call the image rather than the default "folder.jpg"?
        CD Ripper Options > Tags & Filenames > Metadata & ID Tags (OPTIONS) > Album Art .... drop down menu for selecting naming
        And below that section under "Write ID Tags" you can tick or not tick album art if you want the art to also be embedded in your files.

In my own case, I do NOT tick the album art box in write ID tags (I don't want embedded art) and I name my jpg folder files "cover.jpg".

Comment

• snowdog
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by garym
          In my own case, I do NOT tick the album art box in write ID tags (I don't want embedded art) and I name my jpg folder files "cover.jpg".
          Thanks for the info. Any particular reason for the above?

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Thanks for the info. Any particular reason for the above?
            I can't recall the exact source of this, but I recall that there are programs out there that can unexpectedly mess with "folder.jpg" files without your knowledge (this may have been windows media player, which I won't knowingly let touch my files anyhow). So I use the "cover.jpg" instead. Probably not necessary.

Regarding embedded, I don't have the need to have a cover file embedded in each file when my players can use the *single* cover.jpg in the album folder. I shoot for having 1000x1000 art if available (This said, when I make lossy (mp3 versions) of my FLAC library for use in my portable devices, in the conversion I do have the artwork embedded in the mp3 files (just so it is there no matter where I'm using the file) but in the conversion, I set dbpa to convert the art before embedding to no larger than 300x300.

Comment

• snowdog
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jul 2019

Gotcha.

Well, that all makes sense. I have a fairly vast iTunes library & I've always added sleeve art manually in iTunes, having downloaded the best files I can find, so this is all a bit of a new way for me.

Also, I name my sleeve art files in a very particular way & always with a unique name relating to the album in question. I can't be doing with a search coming up with 3,000 items called "folder.jpg" or some such. I need specifics! I also like to have imagery of the entire thing, booklets, trays, the whole shebang if I can find it, (Discogs is great for this), although I only use the front cover for the MP3s. The rest just sits in the folder with the audio files.

But now I finally realise why it is that when people share audio with me, the sleeve image is almost always called "folder".

You learn something new every day. Several times a day in my case!

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Gotcha.

Well, that all makes sense. I have a fairly vast iTunes library & I've always added sleeve art manually in iTunes, having downloaded the best files I can find, so this is all a bit of a new way for me.

Also, I name my sleeve art files in a very particular way & always with a unique name relating to the album in question. I can't be doing with a search coming up with 3,000 items called "folder.jpg" or some such. I need specifics! I also like to have imagery of the entire thing, booklets, trays, the whole shebang if I can find it, (Discogs is great for this), although I only use the front cover for the MP3s. The rest just sits in the folder with the audio files.

But now I finally realise why it is that when people share audio with me, the sleeve image is almost always called "folder".

You learn something new every day. Several times a day in my case!
                You can also use your own downloaded art in dbpa. Before ripping, in the artwork panel, just click on the option "load from file" and it will use whatever art you want. And in case you haven't noticed, one option in that artwork panel is to look at other choices on the internet. dbpa tries to select the best art, but sometimes I see better options when I look at the options it offers up from the internet.

Also, regarding naming the artwork, note that in the dropdown where you can choose folder.jpg or cover.jpg, you can also choose an option that will automatically name the file based on unique information. I think you can just replace the [filename].jpg with [album].jpg and the artwork file will be named the name of the album.

Comment

• snowdog
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jul 2019

Originally posted by garym
                  You can also use your own downloaded art in dbpa. Before ripping, in the artwork panel, just click on the option "load from file" and it will use whatever art you want. And in case you haven't noticed, one option in that artwork panel is to look at other choices on the internet. dbpa tries to select the best art, but sometimes I see better options when I look at the options it offers up from the internet.

Also, regarding naming the artwork, note that in the dropdown where you can choose folder.jpg or cover.jpg, you can also choose an option that will automatically name the file based on unique information. I think you can just replace the [filename].jpg with [album].jpg and the artwork file will be named the name of the album.
                  Thanks for the pointers! Great stuff!

Comment

Working...

]]>