title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Would Someone Please Confirm That Bit Depth Only Makes Changes When Needed?

Would Someone Please Confirm That Bit Depth Only Makes Changes When Needed?

I have a whole bunch of FLAC files that I convert to M4A for my car. It's over 100 files to convert. Some are 16-bit 44.1kHz files that convert easily. However, some are 24-bit FLACs that I must use the bit depth DSP to convert to 16-bit. I have been manually seeking out individual 24-bit files to convert them separately, because I was unsure if this DSP would alter the file when it did not need to. It would be much quicker to simply convert all files using the same bit depth DSP for all. I do not want to do this if this DSP alters files that it does not need to.

Can anyone tell me if this 16-bit depth DSP will make any changes to files that are already 16-bit?

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Would Someone Please Confirm That Bit Depth Only Makes Changes When Needed?

You would just need the DSP effect Bitdepth set to 16 bit, if the source file is 16 bit then nothing happens.

Check this program out:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/tunefusion.htm

It was designed to sync files for cars.

Re: Would Someone Please Confirm That Bit Depth Only Makes Changes When Needed?

Thanks for the info. This will be a time saver for the next time I need to do this batch conversion.

As for Tune Fusion, I will try it out to see if it helps my situation. My library has a lot of duplicates of the same songs, so a sync of the entire library will result in duplicates (unless Tune Fusion has logic to detect and eliminate duplicates). As an example, I have entire individual albums along with greatest hits albums too. Sometimes the greatest hits versions of songs are shorter than the versions from the original albums. I manually include the longer version for my car. Also, I sometimes have both high bit rate and 16-bit albums in my library too. The 16-bit version I use for the car with the high bit rate used for listening at home.