title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper Change Of Genre

Thumbs down CD Ripper Change Of Genre

I'm noticing an issue with genre setting when ripping some CDs. This is with Release 17.7 as well as the prior release.

I have an A&M Records CD, The Best Of Sting. Modifying the identifying genre -- say, from "Rock" to "Rock & Roll" -- before ripping works just fine. A hex dump of the MP3 file correctly shows the changed genre. I can even add a second genre before ripping, as in "Rock & Roll;Soft Rock" and this works just fine as well. A dump of that MP3 file shows it.

However, I have another CD (probably just one of many) for which this doesn't work. Case in hand, the Instrumental Favorites Ferrante & Teicher CD from Time Life Music. I can change the default (internet-provided?) genre from "Easy Listening" to "Showtunes" and the user interface accepts it, but the ripped MP3 file still shows the "Easy Listening" genre. Similarly, the user interface allows a multiple "Showtunes;Easy Listening" genre modification, but the resulting MP3 file has not been updated.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there some known workaround -- other than using other software to make changes post-rip?

Thanks.
    Bill Koster

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper Change Of Genre

Changes to metadata in CD Ripper work pre-rip only. If you want to change metadata post-rip, you can use i.e. the "Edit ID Tags" function in the context menu of the file explorer.

Dat Ei

No, the point is they don't always work pre-rip.

Update:

I tried several other CDs across different manufacturers and/or collections, and they all seemed to work properly. I tried several CDs from the same collection (the Time Life Collection of Instrumental Favorites) as the one that had failed, with somewhat surprising results. Two worked just fine, two did not (so 3 failures so far). One of them comes up with an "invalid" genre when loaded -- "EasyListening", as opposed to "Easy Listening" -- but the two others tested that failed had valid genres when loaded.

dBpoweramp Guru

perhaps I'm missing the point, but you understand that when you insert the CD to rip, you can change the Genre to anything you want. I find that I have to change essentially every single Genre label when I'm ripping, as they are either all over the place in terms of names, don't fit the music, etc. I have only about 10 or 12 genre names that I use.

Yes, I'm aware that sometimes the genre isn't right when a CD's contents and metadata are first displayed. The point is is that changing the genre pre-rip does not always work!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Koster View Post
    Yes, I'm aware that sometimes the genre isn't right when a CD's contents and metadata are first displayed. The point is is that changing the genre pre-rip does not always work!
    Got it. Now I understand the problem. I haven't seen this in about 5,000 CD rips, so something odd is happening. Are you using multi-encoder, ripping to different formats at the same time?

dBpoweramp Guru

Are you using Itunes, WMP or some other player that is trying to be "helpful" by "updating" your metadata without asking or telling? Also make sure to get the cursor off the item you changed before you rip. In Windows, the entry you type in sometimes does not get saved until you hit enter or move the cursor to a different field.

I've noticed something like this a few times. What I found was I had highlighted one of the track titles, then changed the genre for the whole CD. When I ripped the CD, the genre changed for only the track title that I had highlighted, but the whole cd ripped. When I inspected each individual track, all the Genres where still set to the original genre, except the track that I had highlighted when I hit rip. It had the new genre I had entered. Maybe something like this is happening to you?