title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CD Drive Accuracy 2019

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: CD Drive Accuracy 2019

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    My experience has been that most external drives are not very good. Besides accuracy problems, most are slow. When ripping to my laptop, I use an "internal" drive with an external SATA power supply and a SATA to USB converter. Works well.
    Does this mean that you are better off with a laptop that has an internal drive (preferably Bluray-capable?) rather than buying an external drive?

dBpoweramp Guru

No, the built in internal laptop drives are, in most cases no better than the external ones. The good drives, in my experience, are the "internal" 5 1/4 full height desktop drives. Use them with a USB to SATA or IDE adapter as appropriate for that drive, and an external power supply with a USB port on your laptop. You don't need an external case, just treat the connectors on the back with reasonable care. Hunt around for used drives salvaged from desktop computers that have been retired. With an assortment of drives, you'll find which ones read damaged CDs the best.

Unfortunately, the variety of DVD drives is rapidly shrinking. My (limited) experience with Bluray burning drives has been that they aren't particularly good at reading scratched or otherwise damaged CDs. I had better luck with DVD drives.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-X...1397602&sr=8-8

I noticed that the original post lists a few Pioneer drives in the good drives category, but mine is a bluray and that worries me that it's not going to be good at reading damaged discs.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'm considering buying a new DVD/CD Writer. Any idea when the 2020 list will be released please?

Hi

Wondered whether you can help. I have installed dbpoweramp on two PC's - one with a LG HL-DT-ST GH24NSD0 24 x DVDRW Internal DVD Burner which seems to have a good accuracy of 98% from your listings on a second machine I have a Liteon eBAU108-11 USB slimline external drive which dosent' appear on you lists. Is this because it not very good or not enough people have used it as a device.

The only reason I asking is that when i RIP a CD on the GH24 I get no errors and I do get errors on a variable number of frames on the ebau108-11. The Liteon drive is brand new. Is this because it's less tolerant of problems (I suspect that there really is an issue on this CD as I had issues when I stuck it in the player in the car).

Cheers

There are some comments here about internal drives vs external. I don't know about all of them, but I've just started using this one, and other than the fact that it doesn't have the required 4000 submissions to make to Top Drives list, it does seem to be accurate enough:

Drive: Dell - DVD+--RW DW316 (88 users): Submissions: 481 accurate, 3 inaccurate, 99.3802 % accuracy

One more comment, I had glommed on to the iHAS124 F as a drive to get. It's an internal drive that I use with an external "enclosure" that takes care of all the connections. The accuracy, speed, etc, was fine. That F drive only last 18 months or so though, and then it started digging/scratching into my discs. Figured that out after it had trashed 2 CDs. When I tried to get another W, I couldn't, so I got an F. The F drives aren't great for accuracy though, and the one I put in about a year ago, already is failing to recognize all the CDs I insert into it. So the reliability/longevity of those iHAS124 drives isn't great. I have a 3rd one I bought, but now I'm trying the Dell DW316 external drive now.

Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 A (72 users): Submissions: 2156 accurate, 132 inaccurate, 94.2308 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 B (585 users): Submissions: 15349 accurate, 619 inaccurate, 96.1235 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 C (119 users): Submissions: 2510 accurate, 118 inaccurate, 95.5099 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 D (119 users): Submissions: 1936 accurate, 32 inaccurate, 98.3740 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 E (196 users): Submissions: 4292 accurate, 176 inaccurate, 96.0609 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 F (226 users): Submissions: 2095 accurate, 62 inaccurate, 97.1256 % accuracy ..... <<==
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 W (206 users): Submissions: 9756 accurate, 72 inaccurate, 99.2674 % accuracy ..... <<==
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 Y (260 users): Submissions: 8856 accurate, 210 inaccurate, 97.6837 % accuracy

One more, sorry. I started with this one, and I still have two of them, but I decided to try the iHAS124 drives because they're faster. I do like the Plextors though, but they're not as accurate as a well functioning iHAS124 F or the Dell DW316:

Drive: PLEXTOR - CD-R PX-W4824A (178 users): Submissions: 8029 accurate, 131 inaccurate, 98.3946 % accuracy

I do note though that if the accuracy of the Dell DW316 external drives holds as the database gets more submissions, that would be the most accurate of the drives that I've personally tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspar View Post
    One more comment, I had glommed on to the iHAS124 F as a drive to get. It's an internal drive that I use with an external "enclosure" that takes care of all the connections. The accuracy, speed, etc, was fine. That F drive only last 18 months or so though, and then it started digging/scratching into my discs. Figured that out after it had trashed 2 CDs. When I tried to get another W, I couldn't, so I got an F. The F drives aren't great for accuracy though, and the one I put in about a year ago, already is failing to recognize all the CDs I insert into it. So the reliability/longevity of those iHAS124 drives isn't great. I have a 3rd one I bought, but now I'm trying the Dell DW316 external drive now.

Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 A (72 users): Submissions: 2156 accurate, 132 inaccurate, 94.2308 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 B (585 users): Submissions: 15349 accurate, 619 inaccurate, 96.1235 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 C (119 users): Submissions: 2510 accurate, 118 inaccurate, 95.5099 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 D (119 users): Submissions: 1936 accurate, 32 inaccurate, 98.3740 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 E (196 users): Submissions: 4292 accurate, 176 inaccurate, 96.0609 % accuracy
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 F (226 users): Submissions: 2095 accurate, 62 inaccurate, 97.1256 % accuracy ..... <<==
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 W (206 users): Submissions: 9756 accurate, 72 inaccurate, 99.2674 % accuracy ..... <<==
    Drive: ATAPI - iHAS124 Y (260 users): Submissions: 8856 accurate, 210 inaccurate, 97.6837 % accuracy
    Misstated. The ** W ** is the one I started with, then went to the F. W is good for accuracy, F not so much. Neither seems to be very reliable though. At least the ones I have had.

Has anyone actually done a listening test and determined what the threshold for audibility of optical drive accuracy actually is? Looking through the list of drives there are only fractions of a percent difference between the top five or ten drives. All things being equal -- and I understand they rarely are -- it would be nice to have more accuracy vs. less, but is it really worth obsessing over?

I applaud the developer for providing a very full-featured software platform for ripping CDs and obviously I believe (and have heard) audible differences between CD ripping programs -- that's why I'm using dBpoweramp. The point at the end of the day is the best audible sound quality and I will do what sounds better but stuff that's just theoretical and doesn't result in repeatable improved sound quality I'm not going to sweat.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Steve Z

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by oldmustang View Post
    Has anyone actually done a listening test and determined what the threshold for audibility of optical drive accuracy actually is?
    I am confused by your post. There is nothing to listen to. Audiblity doesn't come into it, when ripping data off a disc.

The software is reading digital data (1's and 0's) from the optical disc, and we want that data to be as accurate as possible.

This is what CD Drive Accuracy is referring to.

dBpoweramp Guru

and following up on @mville, ACCURATERIP results from ripping CDs is one of the most valuable means of determining that data is actually correct (that is AccurateRip can tell you that your rip matches other rips of different physical copies of the CD, ripped on different computers, using likely different drives). Your confidence can't get better than that. And even if the CD is not in the AR database, the SECURE ripping function (multiple passes with matching CRCs, etc.) is the next best thing. As @mville says, it's not about listening in this case, it's about the data being correct.

Unfortunately I couldn't find VERBATIM CORPORATION in your list. Is there any other Brand-name for them?

Exclamation CD Drive Accuracy 2021?

I'd like to add my voice to the calls for an updated CD Drive Accuracy list. The current one is over two years old.

Re: CD Drive Accuracy 2021?

Hm... I am not sure if this list is a true reflection of the drive accuracy. What about the selection of discs that are ripped? I mean if a user is ripping mostly scratched CDs his/ her drive accuracy will look pretty bad, right?
    For example, I have a Plextor Premium2 as a second drive. I want to conserve it, so I only use it for ripping CDs that my regular drive cannot read w/o errors. It does a great job but it gets only the real difficult CDs which means it will get a low accuracy score in my case.
    And what about people who exclusively rip newly bought CDs? No challenge fpr their drive.
    Others (like me) borrow CDs from a library and rip them. Those are mostly pretty scratched... the drive used will get bad scores.
    Or did I not get the point?
    I will appreciate your comments and opposite views