title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unsolved problem: dbpoweramp can not rip cd's with manufacturing errors

Re: Unsolved problem: dBpoweramp can not rip cd's with manufacturing errors

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    CD Ripper is a redbook audio CD ripping application. The goal here is to use CD Ripper/AccurateRip to get bit perfect rips, which you are getting. There is no problem with CD Ripper OR AccurateRip.

Now, IF there is a recording/mastering/manufacturing problem, IMO that is not anything ripping software should try to fix, otherwise we will not get bit perfect rips. If the problem is significant, I would contact with the Record Company/Label who released the CD.

If your audio server does not interpolate errors the same way that your CD player does, perhaps you could contact the software/hardware developer and ask them why?

By the way, please can you list the 3 or 4 CDs you say contain recording/mastering/manufacturing errors (include year, territory and label of release)?
    I don't want a ripping software who interpolates data, bit perfect ripping is a "must be". And dBpoweramp and AccurateRip makes a god job for CDs with scratches/ dirt on it. But a special ripping program for CDs with special errors would be helpful.

I think a audio server does not interpolate, because he works with "bit perfect, error free audio files".

"James Brown Live at the Apollo" Part 1 Polydor 823 002-2
    Last edited by catflap; 07-03-2019 at 07:47 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    I don't want a ripping software who interpolates data, bit perfect ripping is a "must be".
    I also want ripping software that provides bit perfect rips. That is why I use dBpoweramp.

dBpoweramp with AccurateRip has provided you with a bit perfect rip (see the log you posted).

dBpoweramp and AccurateRip makes a god job for CDs with scratches/ dirt on it. But a special ripping program for CDs with this special errors would be helpful.
    Please can you explain special errors?

At no point have you provided this thread with evidence of any errors. You have said you can hear an error on playback in your audio server and then claim the problem is with dBpoweramp/AccurateRip, when there are no bit errors. Why is that?

Bit perfect rips are as good as it gets and I repeat, that is what you have, according to your log.
    Last edited by mville; 07-03-2019 at 08:04 PM.

You have a CD with errors, and all produced CDs have the same errors ( this is what i mean with special errors ) dBpoweramp can read the data ( with the errors ) without problems, and AccurateRip compares your rip with the rips ( with the same errors ) in the database and you will get a bit perfect "accurate" rip, but this rip includes errors. And you don't know about this errors until you listen to this audio files.
    Last edited by catflap; 07-04-2019 at 05:40 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

You have a CD with errors, and all produced CDs have the same errors ( this is what i mean with special errors ) dBpoweramp can read the data ( with the errors ) without problems, and AccurateRip compares your rip with the rips ( with the same errors ) in the database and you will get a bit perfect "accurate" rip, but this rip includes errors. And you don't know about this errors until you listen to this audio files.
    As I understand it, a CD with manufacturing errors will be flagged by CD Ripper as having errors i.e. insecure and so will not get submitted to the AccurateRip database. Maybe I have got this wrong. Spoon can you confirm?

Administrator

There are 3 different types of 'errors':

a) Physical scratch
    b) Manufacturing defect (swirl in the plastic)
    c) Mastering error

Catflap refers to (c), the errors are encoded into the audio and nothing can be done for this type of error.

Errors from a and b would not appear in the database once 2 or more people have submitted that disc, c would be in the database as this is how ever cd is released.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    There are 3 different types of 'errors':

a) Physical scratch
    b) Manufacturing defect (swirl in the plastic)
    c) Mastering error

Catflap refers to (c), the errors are encoded into the audio and nothing can be done for this type of error.

Errors from a and b would not appear in the database once 2 or more people have submitted that disc, c would be in the database as this is how ever cd is released.
    Thanks Spoon, that is how I understood things.

So, what Catflap is talking about has nothing to do with the digital audio data and bit errors on the CD at all, rather he/she is talking about the actual audio the bits represent?

That is what I thought at the beginning of the thread, but later posts seemed to suggest something else.

dBpoweramp Guru

So, what Catflap is talking about has nothing to do with the digital audio data and bit errors on the CD at all, rather he/she is talking about the actual audio the bits represent?
    Yes, nothing a ripper can do about this type of mastering (audio) error. Catflap might be able to "fix" any glitches by using some sort of audio editing program on the digital files. Never used it for this, but take a look at Audacity--it has a lot of different audio editing functions.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...acity+download

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, nothing a ripper can do about this type of mastering (audio) error. Catflap might be able to "fix" any glitches by using some sort of audio editing program on the digital files. Never used it for this, but take a look at Audacity--it has a lot of different audio editing functions.
    Thank you very much for all your posts, sorry when i did have some problems to explain it in a way that you can understand what i mean . Thank you for your help. I will try an audio editing program to fix it. ( thank you garym for the link ) catflap .

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, and that is down to the OP to decide whether in his/her opinion there is a problem with the audio.

What confused me was the OP referred to "errors" and I was trying to determine whether or not these "errors" were digital audio bit errors or not. I am now happy to except that this thread is NOT about digital audio errors, rather it is about the recorded/mastered audio.

Firstly, I would say that redbook audio CD authoring errors are not acceptable and I explained earlier in this thread that I would take this up with the record label/company if I believed there was an authoring issue. However, to talk about the audio as containing errors is IMO dubious and veers into areas of opinion.

Audio is released by artists/producers/mixers/re-mixers/record labels etc. on many formats and it is their choice what they release. Who are we to say that there are any "errors" in the audio?

As an artist I could release a CD containing analog audio scratches, glitches and drop-outs. Is the OP really expecting the CD Ripper software to be able to distinguish between my artistic choices or what might have been an artist/producer/engineer recording/mastering mistake and "fix" the audio?

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, and that is down to the OP to decide whether in his/her opinion there is a problem with the audio.

What confused me was the OP referred to "errors" and I was trying to determine whether or not these "errors" were digital audio bit errors or not. I am now happy to except that this thread is NOT about digital audio errors, rather it is about the recorded/mastered audio.

Firstly, I would say that redbook audio CD authoring errors are not acceptable and I explained earlier in this thread that I would take this up with the record label/company if I believed there was an authoring issue. However, to talk about the audio as containing errors is IMO dubious and veers into areas of opinion.

Audio is released by artists/producers/mixers/re-mixers/record labels etc. on many formats and it is their choice what they release. Who are we to say that there are any "errors" in the audio?

As an artist I could release a CD containing analog audio scratches, glitches and drop-outs. Is the OP really expecting the CD Ripper software to be able to distinguish between my artistic choices or what might have been an artist/producer/engineer recording/mastering mistake and "fix" the audio?
    100% agree.