title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Album view on imported songs into Iphone ios 12.3.1 doesn't show title but genre

Album view on imported songs into Iphone ios 12.3.1 doesn't show title but genre

Hi.
    I have imported my music into ITunes on my pc successfully after converting them with DBPoweramp. In ITunes, everything is perfect. I imported my music into my Iphone. When I look at the songs in Album view on my iphone, instead of seeing the names of all the songs in the album, I get a list of Genres for each and every song. "soul/alternative pop/rock/Adult Pop....."

This had happened to me years ago and from what I remember, I had to edit one of the tags on my songs and then reimport into my iphone. I cannot find the thread that I used last time to solve the issue.

Anybody else have the same problem? Anybody know the fix?

Administrator

Re: Album view on imported songs into Iphone ios 12.3.1 doesn't show title but genre

You have to remove the Style ID tag, iTunes is using this instead of track title.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Album view on imported songs into Iphone ios 12.3.1 doesn't show title but genre

Quote Originally Posted by terry7778 View Post
    ... I cannot find the thread that I used last time to solve the issue.

Anybody else have the same problem? Anybody know the fix?
    Try searching the forums using google, the results list a number of threads describing your issue.

Thanks. I will try that.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Having this exact same issue today. Had the same issue years back and resolved it, but can't find the solution anymore by searching here or on Google. Could you please post whatever you find, here? Thanks!

I seem to recall it was something I had to do at the point of converting my AIFF's to mp3's, before dropping them into iTunes prior to synching with my iOS devices. That resolved the issue back then and hadn't had a problem since, but it's back and I'm not sure why.

dBpoweramp Guru

When searching for:
    dbpoweramp style title iTunes

in google, I get the following results:
    google search results

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just getting back to this, to troubleshoot. So, since I first started using dBpoweramp to rip and convert, I've maintained all tags when ripping a CD but when converting to mp3 (to manage with iTunes and load onto my iOS devices) I've had Batch Converter settings set to delete "style" during the conversion (per the instructions in this previous thread from a year and a half ago). In other words, I maintain the "style" tag while ripping CDs for my archives library of AIFFs and delete that "style" tag during mp3 conversion to avoid this odd iOS problem.

This had worked flawlessly previously for hundreds of ripped CDs and converted mp3s, and all settings in Batch Converter have been identical in the last year and a half (still set to delete the "style tag") but oddly enough, just a few weeks ago, newly converted mp3s have logged a new tag called "Content Group" which contains what was previously the "style" designation.

So the problem that had previously been resolved is now back because of this weird new "Content Group" tag. I never changed my settings (again, still set to delete the "style" tag during conversion) so why is this new tag "Content Group" popping up now? I've looked at the Batch Converter settings again and there's no way to delete "Content Group" prior to conversion. "Content Group" isn't even listed as a tag to delete in the conversion window.

So, what's going on? Why the new "Content Group" tag? I went back to a couple mp3 albums and deleted the "Content Group" tags and re-synched to my iOS devices and this fixed the problem, but how do I delete this "Content Group" tag in Batch Converter during the conversion process itself (as I'd done before with the "style" tag)? Thanks!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

FYI, I'm using dBpoweramp Version Release 16.5, on MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.5. Thanks.

Super Moderator

The root cause of all the trouble here is ID3v2 TIT1 field.

Various software - including older dBpoweramp - used this field for 'Style' tag, storing additional genre information.

At some point, Apple decided that it should override shown track titles, causing general mayhem for people who tagged their tracks with dBpoweramp.

We responded by changing dBpoweramp to treat TIT1 as 'Content Group', which is now more consistent with the specification. So files ripped with old dBpoweramp might have genre info in TIT1, which is now shown as 'Content Group'. If you have a copy of older dBpoweramp, it will show the same tags as 'Style'.

The path of least trouble is to get rid of TIT1 from all your files, which means erasing all instances of 'Content Group' info from your files, per dBpoweramp R16.5 naming.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    The root cause of all the trouble here is ID3v2 TIT1 field.

Various software - including older dBpoweramp - used this field for 'Style' tag, storing additional genre information.

At some point, Apple decided that it should override shown track titles, causing general mayhem for people who tagged their tracks with dBpoweramp.

We responded by changing dBpoweramp to treat TIT1 as 'Content Group', which is now more consistent with the specification. So files ripped with old dBpoweramp might have genre info in TIT1, which is now shown as 'Content Group'. If you have a copy of older dBpoweramp, it will show the same tags as 'Style'.

The path of least trouble is to get rid of TIT1 from all your files, which means erasing all instances of 'Content Group' info from your files, per dBpoweramp R16.5 naming.
    Thanks for your reply. This makes sense, however, I resolved the problem previously by omitting &*8220;Style&*8221; during the conversion process from FLAC to mp3, but there&*8217;s no option to omit &*8220;Content Group&*8221; during the same process. Why doesn&*8217;t &*8220;Content Group&*8221; show up as a tag to omit?

It&*8217;s seems that a well intentioned fix reintroduced the same problem I had before. Now, instead of an automatic process during batch conversion, now there&*8217;s an additional step to take, where I have to go back and manually delete the &*8220;Content Group&*8221; tag one album at a time. Very frustrating. Will &*8220;Content Group&*8221; be introduced as a tag to omit during the batch conversion process?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMission View Post
    Thanks for your reply. This makes sense, however, I resolved the problem previously by omitting &*8220;Style&*8221; during the conversion process from FLAC to mp3, but there&*8217;s no option to omit &*8220;Content Group&*8221; during the same process. Why doesn&*8217;t &*8220;Content Group&*8221; show up as a tag to omit?

It&*8217;s seems that a well intentioned fix reintroduced the same problem I had before. Now, instead of an automatic process during batch conversion, now there&*8217;s an additional step to take, where I have to go back and manually delete the &*8220;Content Group&*8221; tag one album at a time. Very frustrating. Will &*8220;Content Group&*8221; be introduced as a tag to omit during the batch conversion process?
    Originally typed this in iOS. No idea why the formatting is so messed up. Here it is again for clarity. . .

Thanks for your reply. This makes sense, however, I resolved the problem previously by omitting "Style" during the conversion process from FLAC to mp3, but there's no option to omit "Content Group" during the same process. Why doesn't "Content Group" show up as a tag to omit?

It seems that a well intentioned fix reintroduced the same problem I had before. Now, instead of an automatic process during batch conversion, now there's an additional step to take, where I have to go back and manually delete the "Content Group" tag one album at a time. Very frustrating. Will "Content Group" be introduced as a tag to omit during the batch conversion process?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just following up. . .Will "Content Group" be added as a unique tag in "ID Tag Processing" to check for deletion, in the "DSP Effects" window, during the encoding/conversion process in Music Converter?

"Style" is and has been a unique tag listed, but not "Content Group". Otherwise, is there another work around that doesn't involve having to manually delete the "Content Group" tags on each album before or after conversion? I'm using Version: Release 16.5 for Mac.

Thanks.
    Last edited by RecklessMission; 07-14-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Administrator

Are you not able to type the deletion tag name to any you want?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Are you not able to type the deletion tag name to any you want?
    Ah, yes. The answer is always right under my nose. I thought the options were pre-determined by the tags listed in the drop-down menu. I was indeed able to type in "Content Group" as a tag to delete during conversion and that did the trick. Thanks!