title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Beginnings of songs cut off

Beginnings of songs cut off

Hi all,

This doesn't usually happen, but on some CDs, the beginnings of certain tracks will be cut off when the tracks are played individually. If I play those songs in the order they are on the CD, the beginnings play normally. I find that in those situations, a few samples of the beginnings of those tracks end up being part of the track that comes before them. I think this has to do with the fact that my drive has an offset of +6, so it is moving 6 samples into new tracks. How can I tell if my drive is able to lead in or out?

Thanks.
    Last edited by joeyc410; 06-12-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Administrator

Re: Beginnings of songs cut off

6 samples would not be audible, it is 6/44100 or 0.001 of a second.

What format do you rip to? what is your audio player?

I rip to AIFF and I use iTunes. For gapless albums, are there still 6 samples being removed?

Administrator

It is not removed, but offset by 6 samples.

It is possible the disc is mastered incorrectly so when playing a single track it is cut off on the actual disc.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have quite a few discs that were mastered with the kind of error Spoon suggests. Sometimes the end of one track is prepended to the beginning of the next, or the beginning of a track is appended to the end of the previous one. My solution is to use an editor to move misplaced data to its proper place. That causes the altered tracks to fail AccurateRip tests, but I'm okay with that as long as they passed AR muster in their original forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I have quite a few discs that were mastered with the kind of error Spoon suggests. Sometimes the end of one track is prepended to the beginning of the next, or the beginning of a track is appended to the end of the previous one. My solution is to use an editor to move misplaced data to its proper place. That causes the altered tracks to fail AccurateRip tests, but I'm okay with that as long as they passed AR muster in their original forms.
    I started a thread a few weeks ago about this particular situation. I was initially reluctant to use Audacity to edit my files. However, I am wondering if you could confirm that if I set the dither setting in Audacity to none and export the files in a lossless format, they would still be equal to their original versions in terms of quality? I know that because I would be changing their structures, they wound no longer be regarded as accurate but I just want to make sure I am not degrading them in any way.