title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ALAC converted to FLAC, WAV, or AIFF questions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ALAC converted to FLAC, WAV, or AIFF questions?

I have recently started ripping all of my CDs into iTunes using ALAC. I’m nearly finished and afterwards I may want to convert my whole library to another lossless format like FLAC, AIFF, or WAV using dBpoweramp. My question after reading this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204310 , is in the very beginning of the article they referred to ALAC as a compressed format, and towards the end of the article they state that converting from a compressed format to an uncompressed format (AIFF or WAV) there will be no difference in sound, but the file will take up more space. Does this only apply to converting within iTunes? I plan to do all my converting in dBpoweramp, but before I do it I’d like to know I’m not wasting my time. I plan to covert my library to FLAC, as well as AIFF and/or WAV too. What settings should I use for converting from ALAC to FLAC, and also ALAC to AIFF and/or WAV? In the end I want three separate libraries: ALAC made from importing CDs into iTunes, FLAC library made by converting ALAC to FLAC with dBpoweramp, and AIFF or WAV made by converting ALAC to AIFF or WAV using dBpoweramp. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

Re: ALAC converted to FLAC, WAV, or AIFF questions?

ALAC, WAV, AIFF and FLAC are all lossless formats, they can be converted any number of times between these 4 formats without quality loss, with dBpoweramp.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    ALAC, WAV, AIFF and FLAC are all lossless formats, they can be converted any number of times between these 4 formats without quality loss, with dBpoweramp.
    and the FLAC and ALAC files will be smaller than the AIFF or WAV files because of the way lossless compression works (note that lossless compression is *not* the same as lossy compression such as mp3 or AAC files). But all decode to the exact same bitperfect lossless copy of the original CD.

I'm curious as to why one would need an AIFF or WAV file when they already have FLAC and ALAC files and these are all identical. The only difference is the WAV and AIFF files are much larger and are not well supported in terms of metadata tagging. It's not because of sound quality in case you believe that myth that permeates the audiophile community.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    and the FLAC and ALAC files will be smaller than the AIFF or WAV files because of the way lossless compression works (note that lossless compression is *not* the same as lossy compression such as mp3 or AAC files). But all decode to the exact same bitperfect lossless copy of the original CD.

I'm curious as to why one would need an AIFF or WAV file when they already have FLAC and ALAC files and these are all identical. The only difference is the WAV and AIFF files are much larger and are not well supported in terms of metadata tagging. It's not because of sound quality in case you believe that myth that permeates the audiophile community.
    I guess I do not need the AIFF or WAV files. I am only going to have ALAC and FLAC libraries. I am almost done ripping all my CDs. I plan on only keeping the CDs I am really attached to. And no, I am not of the myth they sound better. I am just happy to have my CDs in a digital form equivalent to what is actually on the CD. Thank you.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Datooch View Post
    I guess I do not need the AIFF or WAV files. I am only going to have ALAC and FLAC libraries. I am almost done ripping all my CDs. I plan on only keeping the CDs I am really attached to. And no, I am not of the myth they sound better. I am just happy to have my CDs in a digital form equivalent to what is actually on the CD. Thank you.
    Yep, you're fine with the ALAC and FLAC. Of course backups are critically important. Best to have a couple of backup drives with the files, including one stored at a separate location. I have at least 3 backups stored at 3 different locations, and the drives are not connected to anything except when I'm updating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Thank you! I appreciate that!