title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: AccurateRip: Rip is not getting accepted into AR db, how come?

AccurateRip: Rip is not getting accepted into AR db, how come?

My rip(s) appear not to be getting accepted in the AR database:

Starting point

- 1 pressed retail audio CD
    - 2 different PCs
    - numerous different disc drives
    - not present in either database (CTDB + AR) on first rip (must not have been popular)

Steps taken
    - EAC rip on PC1 using drive1
    - EAC rip on PC1 using drive2
    - EAC rip on PC2 using drive3
    - EAC rip on PC2 using drive4
    - [...]
    - submit results on both PCs
    - wait (it's been 8 months)
    - CUETools verify

Expected outcome
    - AR and CTDB confidence increases with each rip

Actual outcome
    - only CTDB is incrementing (8/8 now)
    - AR steadfastly disavows any knowledge of the disk ("disk not present in database")

Questions
    It's been 8 months since the first rip date - is there a logical explanation for this phenomenon?
    What requirements for AR am I not meeting?
    Would I need to rip a different specimen of the same disc?
    And if so, doesn't that mean if there's only one copy of a cd in existence (like that Wu-Tang clan one, Once Upon a Time in Shaolin), it could *never* get into AR db?
    Where can I learn more about these inner workings of AR?
    Last edited by wahnsinn; 06-05-2019 at 05:53 AM. Reason: formatting was borked

Administrator

Re: AccurateRip: Rip is not getting accepted into AR db, how come?

I am sorry to say we have no method to track individual submissions, the process is fully automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I am sorry to say we have no method to track individual submissions, the process is fully automatic.
    I mean, that's cool - but what I was asking is some information on what requirements this automatic process is using to determine whether a submission is rejected/accepted, so that I may figure out what's "wrong" with mine.

Administrator

If you have ever ripped from a virtual drive, then your computer will be blacklisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you have ever ripped from a virtual drive, then your computer will be blacklisted.
    well, that's not it.

..anything else?

Administrator

Cannot think of anything else

I'll just keep poking you with questions and see what happens I guess, cause I'm honestly a bit puzzled and, no offense, you're being quite tight-lipped..

Let's try to rule out the blacklisting thing:
    1. It wouldn't blacklist me for using a USB adapter to hook up my drives, would it?

2. How does it determine whether something actually is a virtual drive?

3. Is there any chance that using regular, physical cd drives, hooked up through a third-party retail USB adapter, would get falsely detected as "virtual"?

4. Is there any chance that using multiple drives in succession, all within one session of windows, or even one session of EAC (just hot-swapping them on the USB adapter), to rip the same physical disc would cause the machine to get blacklisted?

For the sake of argument, let's assume my machine did somehow get falsely blacklisted:

5. What feature of my machine is that blacklisting based on, some kind of hardware fingerprint?

6. What would I have to do to get out from under such a blacklist?

Really starting to lose my mind here.
    I have successfully ruled out the idea that I'm "blacklisted".

How?
    I have had some very old hardware lying around, and I used it to build a new machine, installed an old copy of a different OS (Vista, god help me) on it.

In other words, there is absolutely no way this machine is on any blacklist whatsoever.

And then I re-ripped a bunch of discs (20+) over the course of August, just to see what would happen with their AR confidence.

Well, accuraterip.com says the database has just been updated for the first time since JUNE:

Database Updated September 2019
    So I should see some changes in the confidence numbers, right? Right..? ..right..?

Nope.
    NOTHING has changed.

I checked those rips with CueTools just now and their AR numbers are *EXACTLY* as before.

I'm reduced to the original question, why? Why aren't my rips getting in?

Quote Originally Posted by wahnsinn View Post
    I have successfully ruled out the idea that I'm "blacklisted".
    This was based on an incorrect assumption, namely that at the time the accuraterip.com website states something like "Updated September 2019", the update has indeed gone through and gone "live" as it were.
    This was (is) apparently not the case, because at the time of my above post, the website did say the DB had been updated (September 2019), but it took another day or two after that, before a check with CUETools actually showed those updated (+1) numbers. So that's on me, I should not have been so quick to post.

That said, ironically, this now means that in fact the opposite of what I said in the previous post must be true: My main PC is indeed blacklisted.
    Since it was stated above, the only reason this should happen is ripping with a virtual drive, which I have not done, the next logical conclusion is that whatever system is doing the blacklisting is overzealous and faulty.
    I'll repeat that I've never ripped with anything other than solid hardware drives, hooked up through a USB interface adapter that is designed for that very purpose - nothin' virtual 'bout it.
    You may consider ^this a bug report, I suppose.