title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Blu-Spec CD2

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Blu-Spec CD2

Somehow, I was unaware until today of the existence of Blu-Spec CD2 discs. Ostensibly, they're Blu-Ray formatted CDs, but play just fine in regular players.

I'm left wondering if we're able to capture this format with existing dBpoweramp tools or will we need something else?

Granted, I don't have any Blu-Spec discs yet, but I'm thinking about us as a collective and for the future of audio formats in general.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Blu-Spec CD2

Of course, I find out immediately after I post this that it's still just 16 bit, 44.1 kHz audio. It's big hook is improved error correction. This is already not apt to be a big selling format, but I suppose it still matters in the scope of archiving.

Quote Originally Posted by artisan002 View Post
    Somehow, I was unaware until today of the existence of Blu-Spec CD2 discs. Ostensibly, they're Blu-Ray formatted CDs, but play just fine in regular players.

I'm left wondering if we're able to capture this format with existing dBpoweramp tools or will we need something else?

Granted, I don't have any Blu-Spec discs yet, but I'm thinking about us as a collective and for the future of audio formats in general.
    For Bluray Audio discs I use makemkv in the "save" mode followed by applying DVDAudioextractor to the result. There is generally a lot of metadata work to be done afterwards :-( i.e. type in practically everything...

It would be nice if this could be done in dbpoweramp!
    Last edited by uncl_nigel; 06-06-2019 at 11:46 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by uncl_nigel View Post
    For Bluray Audio discs I use makemkv in the "save" mode followed by applying DVDAudioextractor to the result....
    Just to confirm, Blu-spec CDs are not Blu-ray discs, but red-book audio CDs. Blu-spec is just Sony marketing rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Just to confirm, Blu-spec CDs are not Blu-ray discs, but red-book audio CDs. Blu-spec is just Sony marketing rubbish.
    Fully aware of that, thanks