title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 becomes 1

Re: 2 becomes 1

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    ...If you had 500K tracks and you want to list all music Drake has ever participated in, you would be able to, as often Drake is not the lead artist, if it was stored as Rhianna & Drake you would not have a program which could search that efficiently...
    I'm aware of Asset and it's old fashioned, limited ways, and sorry, it's not a great example anyway.
    You know searching for Drake would give you the same answer whether he exists in separate boxes or not.
    Arguably, having Drake in the same box will list the files as they actually exist, instead of people thinking "that track is by Drake", when actually it is not, it is by Drake & Rihanna.

Back to the real issue.
    Are you saying that...
    Even though Discogs supplies composers/artists separated by semicolons, I can, at some point (using DSP??), tell CDRipper to write those composers in one box separated by a comma instead?
    That would make me happy!

Administrator

...as already mentioned in reply 3:

You can use the DSP effect 'ID Tag processing' there is an option there to keep '; ', it is titled 'Multiple Artists to Artist1; Artist2 (for non-multiple artist aware programs).

If you are using a MAC then you are limited for audio players, iTunes just kills the market (99.9% will stick with it no matter what) so you have mediocre offerings.

You can use the DSP effect 'ID Tag processing' there is an option there to keep '; ', it is titled 'Multiple Artists to Artist1; Artist2 (for non-multiple artist aware programs).

If you are using a MAC then you are limited for audio players, iTunes just kills the market (99.9% will stick with it no matter what) so you have mediocre offerings.

Mediocre? Really?
    There's no need to slag off Mac or iTunes, or this paying customer, at any point.
    You're trolling your own forum...embarrassing.

Using the DSP workaround, is there an option to preview the revised metadata (semicolons to comma, in the same box) before committing?

You can use the DSP effect 'ID Tag processing' there is an option there to keep '; ', it is titled 'Multiple Artists to Artist1; Artist2 (for non-multiple artist aware programs)...

This feature seems to crash CDRipper.
    Go to add DSP, add Manipulation, Word replacement, Set, add New, left hand column put ;, right hand column put, OK, CDRipper quits.

Administrator

I am entitled to my own opinion on iTunes, not sure how that could be interpreted into slagging you off. I am also more than qualified to disscuss the functionality of iTunes, see:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/about.html

Some major features which you might rely on (such as Genius playlists), track ratings, we invented them first (over 25 years ago)...

I could write an article 20 pages long on the areas it gets things wrong (this multiple Artists is one area, where they seriously impact the market as a whole because as you are finding. We are expected by some to target the lowest common denominator, which in this instance is iTunes, by default). Admittedly though it gets some things very right.

---

Convert one album to test the results before letting it loose on your whole collection.
    Last edited by Spoon; 06-04-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Flibbidy Gibbet View Post
    This feature seems to crash CDRipper.
    Go to add DSP, add Manipulation, Word replacement, Set, add New, left hand column put ;, right hand column put, OK, CDRipper quits.
    Add he DSP Effect 'ID Tag processing', on the manipulation tab check the box 'Multiple Artists to Artist1; Artist2 (for non-multiple artist aware programs)'

Do not click Word Replacement.

You can use the DSP effect 'ID Tag processing' there is an option there to keep '; ', it is titled 'Multiple Artists to Artist1; Artist2 (for non-multiple artist aware programs)...

This option has now stuck. But it doesn't do what I would have hoped.
    The metadata grabbed by CDRipper as Lennon; McCartney, still shows as only McCartney in the metadata of the file, even though I've entered the , for ; manipulation.
    Am I setup incorrectly?

ScreenShot 2019-06-04 at 12.52.06.jpg

Add he DSP Effect 'ID Tag processing', on the manipulation tab check the box 'Multiple Artists to Artist1; Artist2 (for non-multiple artist aware programs)'

I'll try this. Thanks.

Administrator

To be honest, I do not think I can help you, I have replied 3 times telling you the exact option you need to check, instead you are convinced it is a character replacement option which is needed (which will not work in this instance). For my own sanity, and for you not to feel I am 'slagging you off' I will let Gary take over, if he so chooses to.

Nope, this does not work.
    Writers divided by semicolons are still lost in the writing of the metadata.
    Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

DSP SETTING

METADATA RESULTS
    ScreenShot 2019-06-04 at 13.10.55.jpg
    ScreenShot 2019-06-04 at 13.11.19.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

To be honest, I do not think I can help you, I have replied 3 times telling you the exact option you need to check, instead you are convinced it is a character replacement option which is needed (which will not work in this instance). For my own sanity, and for you not to feel I am 'slagging you off' I will let Gary take over, if he so chooses to.
    Character replacement I now understand is not the right way to go.
    Using the "Multiple Artists" option also does not work.

Please explain what I am doing incorrectly, having followed all of your advice.

I hope we don't have crossed wires and you do understand that I would like the composer boxes to say Lennon, McCartney.
    Not an unreasonable thing to desire from a ripper/tagger....

Administrator

From your image in the screenshot, you have checked 5 options, the later options undo the first option. So only check 'Multiple Artists to Artist1; Artist2 (for non-multiple artist aware programs)' uncheck the rest.

I am entitled to my own opinion on iTunes, not sure how that could be interpreted into slagging you off. I am also more than qualified to disscuss the functionality of iTunes, see:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/about.html

Some major features which you might rely on (such as Genius playlists), track ratings, we invented them first (over 25 years ago)...

I could write an article 20 pages long on the areas it gets things wrong (this multiple Artists is one area, where they seriously impact the market as a whole because as you are finding. We are expected by some to target the lowest common denominator, which in this instance is iTunes, by default). Admittedly though it gets some things very right.

---

Convert one album to test the results before letting it loose on your whole collection.

Great! Good for you!

I'm only interested in Lennon, McCartney, not McCartney...
    Pretty easy really.

And I don't need to know that you know more than me or Apple or couldn't care less about users asking for help in this Forum you like to lord over and explain how I'm doing something wrong, using the wrong computer or the wrong software to listen to music.

If you must know (and I know you dont care) I tag for record labels. DBPoweramp has been recommend and I'm trying it out.
    So far it has failed at every hurdle, by that I mean with every support you get a dose of opinion, it is designed to work with one method in mind rather than the real-world which, as you may be aware, uses multiple methods.

Administrator

>it is designed to work with one method in mind rather than the real-world which, as you may be aware, uses multiple methods.

dBpoweramp can be adapted to work with any system, it is one of the most flexible rippers out there (all these hundreds of configuration options are there for that purpose). Ironically iTunes ripper is not, you get it 'Apples way' even if that is incompatible with everyone else...

I think this thread is now done (that is why is now closed), you had the correct information on reply number 3 on how to overcome the issue, we are now on reply 28 and going around in circles...