title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Understanding when keeping/making a CUE file is necessary?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Understanding when keeping/making a CUE file is necessary?

All,

Relatively new so I was hoping for some help. I understand the need for a CUE file when splitting up say one FLAC/ALAC audio file to it's respective individual tracks. Makes sense.

But why do I need one if I already have a ripped CD to let's say ALAC format (I use iTunes) and it was 100% verified by accuraterip. Let's say I wanted to burn these contents back to a writeable CD. I am assuming I could just use a burning software program (even iTunes) to do this?

Can anyone point me in a better direction to read up on CUE files and If I need them?

Thanks.

Scott

Administrator

Re: Understanding when keeping/making a CUE file is necessary?

You do not need CUE sheets, they are for people who want the whole CD as one big track.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You do not need CUE sheets, they are for people who want the whole CD as one big track.
    Agree. In the distant past, one needed cue files for things like gapless playback, etc. This is no longer true. And one can burn the separate digital files (e.g., ALAC or FLAC) back to a CDR to recreate the CD without needing a CUE file.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Agree. In the distant past, one needed cue files for things like gapless playback, etc. This is no longer true. And one can burn the separate digital files (e.g., ALAC or FLAC) back to a CDR to recreate the CD without needing a CUE file.
    Thanks guys, question. If I did burn the separate digital files back to a CDR would it still pass an accuraterip check without the cue file for reference when burning (i.e. for indexing?) I guess I could run a test myself and see too, just want to try and learn more Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sjf99 View Post
    Thanks guys, question. If I did burn the separate digital files back to a CDR would it still pass an accuraterip check without the cue file for reference when burning (i.e. for indexing?) I guess I could run a test myself and see too, just want to try and learn more Thanks.
    No clue. I haven't found the need to actually burn digital files back to a CDR in over 10 years.

edit: except for my ripping computer, I don't even own anything that can play an audio CD (not in home stereo, not in cars, not in my other computers, not portable). I think I still have an old CD player in the attic somewhere.
    Last edited by garym; 06-04-2019 at 09:31 AM.