title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: FLAC to ALAC - 16 bit 44.1 khz to 16 bit 48khz Conversion - How Bad Did I Screw Up?

FLAC to ALAC - 16 bit 44.1 khz to 16 bit 48khz Conversion - How Bad Did I Screw Up?

All,

I am new to dBpoweramp but plan to start using the music converter and perfecttunes software soon for my music needs (recently been using mediahuman audio converter which I liked too).

Here is my issue were I could use some guidance. In the beginning, when I was newer to the concept of burning cd's and digital copies and also converting copies I admit to being a little naive and not as experienced. For my CD's I burned to my iTunes library as straight ALAC 16 bit 44.1khz, and will hold up to the accuraterip verification process (as I have tested a few within perfecttunes). So, all good there,no issues.

However, in any FLAC files I may have had at 16 bit and 44.1khz I converted those to ALAC 16 bit and 48khz. Can't remember why exactly, maybe something I read about the extra "headroom" being good? Not sure, but I did this for a lot of musical pieces thru the last couple of years. I realize now, that can cause rounding issues? And potential poorer musical quality (in essence upconverting)? (Obviously as I found too it won't pass an accuraterip as it isn't the same lossless quality as a CD).

So, my question is this, how bad of a "poorer sounding element(s)" have I potentially introduced? Is it worth going back and re-converting those files (which will be a fairly large undertaking) to get a more "accurate native source based one-to-one conversion 16bit, 44.1khz"? Or am I getting way too concerned about this? Any advice would be great. Especially if some think it good to re-convert and how to efficiently do that using dBpoweramp music converter.

Yes, plan to stay with iTunes for the fore-sable future.

Thanks, I fear my inexperience has gotten me into some trouble.

Scott

Administrator

Re: FLAC to ALAC - 16 bit 44.1 khz to 16 bit 48khz Conversion - How Bad Did I Screw U

Each time you change frequency, even up, you lose a little sound quality. Going back to 44KHz would lose some more. Do you have the original untouched FLAC files?

Re: FLAC to ALAC - 16 bit 44.1 khz to 16 bit 48khz Conversion - How Bad Did I Screw U

Fortunately I do have all the original flacs, I never deleted the original source.

Administrator

Delete all the alac files and reconvert.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Delete all the alac files and reconvert.
    Thanks. I am assuming on the re-rips, verifying them with accuraterip being successful, will be a good, strong test that everything is legit going forward then?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sjf99 View Post
    Thanks. I am assuming on the re-rips, verifying them with accuraterip being successful, will be a good, strong test that everything is legit going forward then?
    yes.
    and on your ALAC conversions, you mention having the FLAC files. So you just need to delete the ALAC and use the FLAC files. No conversion necessary. And you can use PerfectTunes to check the existing FLAC files for AccurateRip match.

Alas, I still like iTunes, so if I stay here I would have to still convert. Thanks for the confirmation on accuraterip.

dBpoweramp Guru

Alas, I still like iTunes, so if I stay here I would have to still convert. Thanks for the confirmation on accuraterip.
    got it. Just batch convert using dbpoweramp to ALAC 16/44.1. dbpa converter can automatically transfer all your tags and album art to the newly created ALAC files. And easy enough to do all your FLAC files in one batch with only a few mouse clicks (assuming the files are all contained within on parent directory structure).

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    got it. Just batch convert using dbpoweramp to ALAC 16/44.1. dbpa converter can automatically transfer all your tags and album art to the newly created ALAC files. And easy enough to do all your FLAC files in one batch with only a few mouse clicks (assuming the files are all contained within on parent directory structure).
    Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Sorry Garym one more quick question about re-converting. I should start with the fresh FLACS again and not try to reconvert the existing ALACs in iTunes back to 44.1 correct?

Administrator

Correct, remove all ALAC files and convert FLAC to ALAC

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Correct, remove all ALAC files and convert FLAC to ALAC
    Thanks again, have a nice weekend.