title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Modified tags not written to files

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Modified tags not written to files

V16.6

After ripping a CD, I sometimes discover a typo, or other error, in the tags. If I modify the tag, the hard drive file name is not modified (if the tag is part of the filename), nor is the tag in the file updated. I've not found an option to force an update. Is there such an option?

If not, I suggest a feature change whereby modified tags are reflected the files.

Right now, the only way I've discovered to fix the error(s) is to delete the ripped file(s) and run the rip again. A waste of time.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Modified tags not written to files

Quote Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
    V16.6

After ripping a CD, I sometimes discover a typo, or other error, in the tags. If I modify the tag, the hard drive file name is not modified (if the tag is part of the filename), nor is the tag in the file updated. I've not found an option to force an update. Is there such an option?

If not, I suggest a feature change whereby modified tags are reflected the files.

Right now, the only way I've discovered to fix the error(s) is to delete the ripped file(s) and run the rip again. A waste of time.
    If you change the tag information, it does not automatically change the file name. However, the modified tags *should* be saved. (what method/program are you using to edit the tags?) To modify your file or folder names based on the new (modified) tag information, download the utility DSP [ARRANGE AUDIO] and run dbpa batch convert to automatically rename files/folders based on the new tag information. No need to rerip anything.
    Last edited by garym; 05-04-2019 at 07:22 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    If you change the tag information, it does not automatically change the file name. However, the modified tags *should* be saved. (what method/program are you using to edit the tags?) To modify your file or folder names based on the new (modified) tag information, download the utility DSP [ARRANGE AUDIO] and run dbpa batch convert to automatically rename files/folders based on the new tag information. No need to rerip anything.
    dbpoweramp CD Ripper v16.6

After I did the rip, I discovered the typo and changed the tag's text in the tag window at the bottom of the screen. I then went to one of the files and hovered over the file with the cursor. M$ brought up a dialog box showing the tags and the typo was still there.

As for changing the file name, as it would involve so few files, it is just as easy to hand edit it/them.

I discovered the typo and changed the tag's text in the tag window at the bottom of the screen.
    Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you using dBpowerAMP's Edit Tag facility?

Administrator

The popup information might show the last time that last file was looked at, you would have to hold it over another file, then move back to that file.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you using dBpowerAMP's Edit Tag facility?
    In the CD ripper, at the bottom of the screen, I have the TAGS window displaying the tags. I selected the tag I wanted to edit, changed the content and hit enter.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The popup information might show the last time that last file was looked at, you would have to hold it over another file, then move back to that file.
    I'll have to try that and see what happens. But, I think it was the first time that I looked at the file, which was after I did the edit.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
    In the CD ripper, at the bottom of the screen, I have the TAGS window displaying the tags. I selected the tag I wanted to edit, changed the content and hit enter.
    I'm confused on how you are editing the tags post rip. It seems that you are trying to change the tags in the RIPPER screen post rip. Instead, you should

Navigate to the album or individual track you want to edit in your Windows Explorer program. With the album folder (or individual track) selected in windows explorer, then RIGHT CLICK and select, "dbpoweramp EDIT ID-TAGS" from the pop up menu. This then pops up a screen that allows you to make your edits. Make your edits then click OK at the bottom of this popup screen. This should save your tag edits.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

[SOLVED] Re: Modified tags not written to files

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Navigate to the album or individual track you want to edit in your Windows Explorer program. With the album folder (or individual track) selected in windows explorer, then RIGHT CLICK and select, "dbpoweramp EDIT ID-TAGS" from the pop up menu. This then pops up a screen that allows you to make your edits. Make your edits then click OK at the bottom of this popup screen. This should save your tag edits.
    Thanks, I didn't know that was added to the right-click menu.

The title of the thread can be marked as: [SOLVED]
    Last edited by MrVideo; 05-05-2019 at 08:42 AM.