title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I get conductor's name to show in Tags

How do I get conductor's name to show in Tags

I am ripping a classical CD
    Composer; Richard Strauus -
    Name of compostion: Also Sprach Zarathustra
    Orchestra: -Berliner Harmonicker
    Conductor: Herbert Von Karajan
    Cd Company: Deutshe Gramaphon

Currently my naming convention is set as: [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

following details show up on the screen:
    Genre: Classical
    Year 2006
    Disc 2/2
    Album Artist: Richard Strauss
    Album : Also Sprach Zarathustra
    Artist: Richard Strauss
    Composer: Richard Strauss
    In the details, it shows the Title of each song, length, Artist's name (i.e. Richard Strauss) and Estimated Size.

The Conductor's name is omitted,
    So is the name of the Orchestra
    How can I get these two to display?

Thanks

Arun

Administrator

Re: How do I get conductor's name to show in Tags

>following details show up on the screen:

Which screen? when browsing with Windows Explorer?

Naming has no bearing on showing a tag element by a player or Windows Explorer.

Thank you. This is my first attempt at ripping Cds. so have many basic questions.I was on the CDRipper page (where I rip the CD). I thought that this is the only detail that is captured, but I see that if I click on Tags, I can see that conductor appears there. But I do need some help because this is a little confusing.I am now ripping a CD "Rossini Overtures". Conductor is Friez Reiner, Chicago Orchestra. Composer is Rossini. There are 8 'songs" under the heading "Overtures".

The CDRipper Screen shows:

Artist: Rossin
    Album Artist: Rossini
    Composer: Rossini

Do you all leave these as they are, or do some modification to how these fields are populated in order to be useful. If you do, will you please share your method with me?

My other question is, once I save all these Cds to my disk, is there a software (for PC) that will show me all the music I stored in the disk in a tabular form, which I can sort by any column (eg; artist or composer or conductor or the name of the song) and play what I want?Any recommendations? I use PC, Not Mac. I am saving in FLAC format.

Thank you.

AR

dBpoweramp Guru

classical music metadata (tag info) is often quite a mess from the online databases. Best bet is to modify these tag entries by manually editing the tag info before ripping. You can edit tags after ripping too if you see something later you want to change.

foobar2000 for the PC software for organizing and playing your music.
    https://www.foobar2000.org/download

Administrator

I do not rip many classical CDs so my advice is perhaps not the best.

You might find you can customize foobar2000 to display how you want, it is a player for Windows and the most customizable of all players.

Is there a way to set up one naming convention for Classical and another for all other genres in dbPowerAmp?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ar3101 View Post
    Is there a way to set up one naming convention for Classical and another for all other genres in dbPowerAmp?
    Yes, lower left hand side of CD ripper screen. Note the "Profile" row. Setup naming convention, etc. and save that PROFILE with a name (Classical). And then setup another name string, etc. and save that PROFILE name with something else (GENERIC). Then when you go into CD Ripper, simply choose the PROFILE you want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, lower left hand side of CD ripper screen. Note the "Profile" row. Setup naming convention, etc. and save that PROFILE with a name (Classical). And then setup another name string, etc. and save that PROFILE name with something else (GENERIC). Then when you go into CD Ripper, simply choose the PROFILE you want to use.

garym: Thank you

Arun

It doesn't seem as though the original question for this thread was answered, so I'd like to re-ask it, with apologies if I'm missing something obvious. For classical works, I like to add the conductor when ripping the CD, but there doesn't seem to be any way to add it as a field to the Metadata Review screen. Under Menu/Options, I can add that field to the tags that get written to the track file during ripping. And I've also tried adding it to the Tags subpanel at the bottom of the ripping screen. But in neither case, does the Conductor field show up as an field when I'm retrieving and editing the tags metadata for the album I'm ripping.

What's weird is that last year I ripped the RCA Red Seal collection, and the conductor tag did show up and I was able to edit it. I did just upgrade to the latest version - was that capability omitted?

So any tips on how to do this? Note that this is not as part of a naming scheme, although I do like to be able to use it there too, when I rip compilation CDs with different composers.

Thanks,
    Doug