title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Configuring AccurateRip

Question Configuring AccurateRip

I have ripped probably 30-40 CDs using CD Ripper - every time I insert a disk it prompts me to configure AccurateRip using the audio CD and every time I get an error message saying:

"This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection it does not match the AccurateRip stored disc, or your drive does not exist in AccurateRip and this disc has multiple pressings stored. Please try a different Key Disc.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I use secure ripping which seems to ensure a decent quality every time but just curious as to why AR seems to not want to know.

Administrator

Re: Configuring AccurateRip

It means your drive is not in the database and 3 matching key discs are needed where there are no pressing offsets already existing in the database, so this means new release CDs.

I have a new Samsung Win 11 laptop with no internal optical drive. My Apple USB Superdrive, which works fine with my about-to-be-replaced Win 7 desktop computer, will not work with the Win 11 laptop despite trying a number of recommended fixes. So I tried a Roofull optical drive from Amazon that had 10,000+ high ratings and does work with Win 11 and has the USB-C connector that eliminates my need to use my adapter. I guess it should be named ruefull because it isn't in the dBpoweramp database. I have tried many CDs, but I either get the "This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection, it does not match the AccurateRip stored disc or your drive does not exist in AccurateRip and this disc has multiple pressings stored. Please try a different Key Disc." message or it likes the CD I put in and I then get the message that asks me for 2 more key discs that aren't in the same multi-CD set, which I cannot find. Since I think the chances are slim of finding 3 new release CDs that match the same offset (if I understand this requirement correctly), I would rather send the Roofull back to Amazon. But I don't want to get stuck with another drive that won't work with Win 11. Can I please get some recommendations for drives that definitely work with Win 11 and if they include the USB-C connector, all the better. Big thanks in advance, as I have already wasted quite a few hours trying to use dBpoweramp on this Win 11 laptop.

dBpoweramp Guru

I believe the key discs are just to check for the read offset as all the other drive options should be detectable (C2, read cache etc), so there's really no need to have it auto configure, unless of course it reminds you all the time that you haven't done it yet!

It sounds like you already have one disc so rip it securely and in the resulting log, below each track, you should see something like:

Code:
       Track 1:  Ripped LBA 33 to 17708 (3:55) in 0:33. Filename: D:\0. Ripped\1988 - Now That's What I Call Music 11, Disc 1\01.01.flac
         AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 45)     [Pass 1]
         CRC32: 2A67E74A     AccurateRip CRC: B763B73F (CRCv2)     [DiscID: 015-0020a16d-01717ad8-c30deb0f-1]
         AccurateRip Verified Confidence 45 [CRCv2 b763b73f]
         AccurateRip Verified Confidence 27 [CRCv1 452f7dc4]
         AccurateRip Verified Confidence 23 [CRCv2 7281b4d8], Using Pressing Offset +15
         AccurateRip Verified Confidence 10 [CRCv1 4d1b0bc], Using Pressing Offset +15
    In this instance I've ripped a disc that has multiple offsets (0 and +15), so I don't know if my drive is 0 or 15. If I were to rip a couple more (not from the same album, and ideally quite new or niche), I should fairly quickly be able to identify the consistent offset, and apply it manually.

I can't tell where you're from, but here in the UK we have a music compilation series called 'Now That's What I Call Music' that has been running since the 80's, with very few re-pressings (only the very early ones I believe), and can be bought very cheaply (4 albums for £5) which are perfect for the AccurateRip configuration, maybe you have something similar?

EDIT: I've just read that it may not be possible to override/set the offset, so you may need to look to purchase other discs/drives instead.
    Last edited by simbun; 04-05-2022 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks simbun. I'm still searching for a Win 11 optical drive.

Great news! Today I saw a notice for a dBpoweramp software update. I installed it and chose 3 old CDs from a low volume high end label, M.A Recordings. But as soon as I put the first one in the drive, it was successful in calibrating it and immediately ripped it in AccurateRip. I then ripped two more from different labels, one very popular - Brothers in Arms - and one much less so - The Complete Josef Hofmann Vol. 1. Both also were successful in AccurateRip.

So if anybody else needs an external drive that works with Win 11, the Roofull on Amazon for $33 will work.