title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is it possible to limit the maximum ripping speed to less than x24?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Is it possible to limit the maximum ripping speed to less than x24?

I've got a problem CD-R that I need to rip (a rare artist-released disc from 2001 I paid a large sum for on Discogs). I use Ultra-Secure ripping with C2 pointers and the first attempt it found errors and aborted the rip of track *1 out of 8 tracks. So I turned off C2 and retried ripping. It's not in AccurateRip so it ends up doing four passes on each track. I think this disc has some issues due to the disc label and so it is fatiguing my optical drive. Halfway thru the second and third attempts at ripping without C2 the drive grinds down to a halt so I can't complete the rip, although it does manage to rip the track that would not rip with C2. I tested my drive and it says there are no hardware issues... although the drive could be on its last legs because I've ripped thousands of discs from my entire library over the past year. And when I go to rip another regular CD it does it, but this CD-R is stressing out the drive and preventing me from getting a complete rip without C2 or an error-free rip with C2.

So I want to limit the maximum ripping speed to about x4 and see it that works. Currently it rips this particular disc at x17. But I see no way in the settings to limit the max speed to anything but Maximum or x24.

(BTW I cannot seem to enter the hashtag character using my keyboard and it shows up here as an asterisk).
    Last edited by ferrarabrainpan; 04-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Is it possible to limit the maximum ripping speed to less than x24?

I let the drive rest for several hours and tried again, first with C2 on and then C2 off. Got a successful rip of the whole CDR (one track secure with warnings) and so problem solved. Guess my DVD-ROM drive is showing its first signs of wearing out. Works fine with most discs but when it comes to discs like this one it is not up to the stress of multiple passes on a disc with errors. So feel free to disregard this thread at this time. May be looking to replace the drive before too much longer though...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Is it possible to limit the maximum ripping speed to less than x24?

glad it worked. Yes, lots of secure ripping can stress and eventually destroy a drive. good news is that drives are very cheap.