title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Lame 3 convertor not working.

Post Lame 3 convertor not working.

Just updated to the new 2019 Version and My Lame mp3 convertor will not increase the bit rate higher.
    For example:
    128Kbs files will not convert to 320kbs in any format in constant or variable bit rate.
    This has only happened since I updated and purchased the new 2019 Version.
    Are other people having the same issue and how can it be resolved.
    I have all checked that i have all the codes for lame mp3 codes from the codec central.

Appreciate an answer please.

Administrator

Re: Lame 3 convertor not working.

You have existing 128kbps mp3 files and you want to convert to 320kbps mp3?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You have existing 128kbps mp3 files and you want to convert to 320kbps mp3?
    Hi Spoon,
    Thank you for your speedy response.
    Yes that's correct.
    I am currently running release 16.6
    I have tried to convert existing 320kbps mp3 back to 128kbps mp3 as a test and nothing happened.
    The process still looks the same but the files remain in the same kbps format afterwards.
    As a suggestion should I uninstall the whole program completely and reinstall the new version or roll back to the previous version.

Administrator

Start Windows in safe mode and see if the conversion can run.

It does not make any sense to go from 128kbps to 320kbps, you actually lose quality by re-encoding.

Hi SPOON

I have enjoyed your fantastic tool for audio etc for many years and I don't understand why you made the comment above.

[COLOR=*222222]I assumed that when converting to 320kbs that the quality would be better. [/COLOR]

I tried your suggestion of SAFE MODE with no change.

I have done some further investigation into this issue.

It appears that the codec i am trying to use isn't using LAME but using FHG (Guess) or XING (Guess)

I have screen shots of examples below.
    File Name.JPG

The pic above shows the first file as 128Kb and the second as 115kb (Windows 10 explorer file listing)
    (The 2nd file was converted using real player real convertor at 320kb VBR)

See both audio properties pic below.

The image to the rightshows different kbs for the file "All in My Mind2" .
    The audio property shows 318kbs but 115kbs on the windows file bit rate column pic above.

File Properties.JPG

Here is another audio property pic below from a file that I converted before the new release update.
    Lame Audio Property.JPG
    It clearly shows the convertor was LAME

You say that converting 128kb to 320 reduces quality but the pic below shows that the when converting using Lame the quality is higher at 320k and lower at 128k etc.
    Lame Conversion.JPG
    I don't understand this.
    [COLOR=*222222]How can i get Lame codec to work again.
    [/COLOR]
    Appreciate any help that may take me back to your program that was working for the way i had it before the upgrade.

Administrator

Try uninstalling dBpoweramp, reboot Windows and reinstall.

Yes converting 128kbps to 320kbps does not give you anything better. Here is an analogy, take a piece of paper and tear 1/4 of a strip off it, that is mp3 128kbps, the 3/4 has been lost during encoding. You cannot get the quality back it is lost forever (if you could then 320kbps would not exist, everyone would use 64kbps and convert to 320kbps before playback).