title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Why are certain tags not recognised across softwares

Question Why are certain tags not recognised across softwares

Hi,

So I'm just starting to get my feet wet with CD Ripping and all the happy extras that come with it. Currently considering a dbPoweramp purchase after the trial expires.

I'm currently puzzled by how tags are handled across softwares and the apparent lack of consistency between them.

For example, I've just ripped a Stan Getz CD with dbPoweramp. The following "special" tags have been automatically detected : Label, Catalog *. I've also asked dbPoweramp to include ReplayGain tags in the files, as well as length, encoder among others.

What I don't get is why those "special" tags don't seem to be properly recognised in another tagging software like Yate (i'm on Mac).

The fields dedicated to this information are hopelessly empty in Yate, and everything seems to be grouped into the "user defined texts". See attached screenshots.

I would expect at least Catalog *, length, label to be populated in the dedicated fields.

How come? Is there no standard for these tags? Are dbPoweramp or Yate not compliant to the standards ?

I would appreciate if you could help the novice that I am :-)

Thanks !

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 19.59.00.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 19.58.46.jpg

Administrator

Re: Why are certain tags not recognised across softwares

We follow Apples standard for m4a tagging, drop the file in iTunes and if they are specific elements for these tags they should appear correct, if iTunes does not have placeholders then these tag elements are non-standard and support in other programs is likely to be hit and miss.