title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: TuneFUSION Windows sync to FoorBar2000 Android

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TuneFUSION Windows sync to FoorBar2000 Android

Sync from TuneFUSION on Windows to FooBar2000 Android seems to be stuck:

Sync started on Friday, April 5, 2019, 17:17:34 PM to foobar2000 on Google Pixel 3
    Library contains 13177 tracks, 12580 tracks requiring syncing
    Sync incomplete.

It has been at "12580 tracks requiring syncing" for many hours now.

Windows log show some files with the error:
    Storing Zbs Foundation/Invasion.mp3
    Unable to store Zbs Foundation/Invasion.mp3

Some filenames have special characters, but not all of them do.

...with no other error shown. There is 78GB free in the destination, so I cannot tell why it would have a problem storing some files.
    Sync started on Friday, April 5, 2019, 17:17:34 PM to foobar2000 on Google Pixel 3
    Library contains 13177 tracks, 12580 tracks requiring syncing
    Device has 78 GB free space, 466.31 MB already synchronized

On the Android device, the FooBar2000 app under "Sync with TuneFUSION" sometimes says "network timeout." With no other error, network is otherwise fine, it seems like it is just waiting on TuneFUSION.

Please advise, cannot tell what the actual error is as there are no other error messages that I can see.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: TuneFUSION Windows sync to FoorBar2000 Android

Hi,

I've never made Tune Fusion work via Bluetooth with my Android (Samsung 7 Edge, current software) Saving to "music" on SD card. Same sync with SD card removed from phone and in USB adapter plugged into computer works flawlessly. With card in phone and syncing by Bluetooth, fails after a variable period of time with same errors you see. Seems to get to some file and detail log says unable to transfer, phone is hung on transferring that file. and yes, I see these "network timeout" messages on phone, not sure if they are connected with the issue,as if you actually watch the phone (for quite a while, waiting for the transfer to fail) when it fails, it sits there on one file the phone saying transferring (or saving or whatever the message is, I forget) forever, that's when the sync hangs. The computer tries another few files with the "unable to store" messages in the sync log, then quits with "never synced".

I also thought it might be special or restricted characters at first, I had a filename with a semicolon that failed on several attempts, changed the semicolon to a comma and it transferred, (although the sync failed a while later with the same error on another file that had no semicolon) but then I saw other files with semicolons that transferred fine.

There are about 60,000 files in my library, I have a 400GB micro SDXC in the phone.

I gave up and have synced with the card out of the phone in a USB adapter (which as I said, works fine). I had not reported it here as no one else had and I thought it might be something stupid I was doing, or some buried setting in the Android system, and have been too busy with other things to spend the time trying to isolate the problem (it does take a lot of time watching it, as it sometimes runs for quite a while before hanging). But since you have the same issue, I'm now reporting it.

BTW, when I sync with the card in the USB adapter and then later sync with the phone via Bluetooth, it doesn't recognize that it had previously synced the same folder using a different sync. It starts over, all 60K files, instead of the couple of dozen I have added. If I use the USB adapter again )(being careful to make sure it is the same drive letter), the sync works correctly. It would be nice if TuneFusion could recognize that the SD card had previously been synced via USB when reinserted in the phone and synced by Bluetooth.

I tried to sync to the phone with the phone connected as a USB device to the computer, but couldn't get TuneFusion to find the assigned drive letter or directory name for the card in the phone. Not sure this is possible with the way the Android system communicates with the Windows OS. If it is possible, I'd like to know what directory name to enter in TuneFusion to get it to see the SD card inside the phone.

Another "annoyance" with the Bluetooth sync, if you break the pairing at the phone (to change a setting in the phone, Foobar requires you to break the pair), you can never repair to that saved sync. You have to create a new sync which requires you to re-enter all the settings as to file types, folders and metadata types to save, etc. Bug or feature (call that what you will), it would be nice, once this transfer bug is solved, to be able to reestablish pairing with a previously saved sync.

From a previous experience with similar communications failure but with RS232 years ago, since in at least some cases it seems to be the same files that hang, we ended up having an issue where the checksum which was generated to verify a good transfer (in our case via RS232) ended up being an illegal hex character (in our case it ended up as an NAK, which kept forcing the RS232 link to keep resending the same checksum, endless loop.) I wonder if something similar with the Bluetooth communication link is going on. Only fails with Bluetooth, Android, fails only occasionally (sometimes after just a few files, sometimes after a thousand or so), and sometimes repeatedly on the same file, but making a slight change in the filename, that file transfers.) Just a thought, probably totally wrong, but just a thought.
    Last edited by schmidj; 04-07-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Super Moderator

Various bugs with TuneFUSION vs foobar2000 mobile are being investigated, thanks for reporting.

Note that there's no "bluetooth sync", it's all plain TCP/IP networking over your phone's wifi connection, with UPnP style discovery for pairing.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for looking into this, also for clarifying that it is using the wifi connection, which I should have realized as the only bluetooth connection the phone has in the house is with Android's "Alexa".

Super Moderator

I just posted a beta update to foobar2000 mobile for Android, 1.1.38.

Some of the known issues have been addressed, I'm still investigating the details.

In particular, it turned out that the way foobar2000 was preventing device sleep while syncing would not prevent the device from disconnecting from wifi networks, resulting in disconnected sync sessions - at least with recent versions of Android.

I applied the same solution as on iOS-

As long as "Sync with TuneFUSION" page is open and a sync operation is in progress, the device will not sleep, and the screen will not turn off. Of course it's recommended to connect your device to AC power while doing this, if transferring gigabytes of music.

dBpoweramp Guru

1.1.38 still fails. Runs for a while, with some errors, and finally fails.

I tried to post the detailed log but the forum says it has too many characters. I can send it to you by Dropbox or similar if it would be useful.

John