title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Keeping metadata across multiple disks in a set

Keeping metadata across multiple disks in a set

Sorry if this has been asked before - Is there a simple way to retain the Album metadata across multiple CDs?
    I'm trying to rip lots of Audiobooks that are not in any of the metadata databases.
    I'm fine with filling in the Album and Artist etc. data on the first disk (I don't care about track names) but I want to retain that data for every disk in the set and just update the Disk number.
    At the moment every time I eject a disk so I can rip the next one in the sequence all the meta data is deleted and I have to put it all back in again.

Administrator

Re: Keeping metadata across multiple disks in a set

Sorry it cannot do this.

OK - thank you for the response - Can I make a request for this to be added as a feature in the future please? It would be really useful for those of us who have multi-disc collections that aren't in the standard metadata platforms. It's not too bad if it's just a two disc set but many Audiobooks have many more than this. A simple checkbox to not clear the album data when the disk is replaced would be perfect. We could then edit the disk number and continue the Rip.
    Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

This is fairly easy to do in mp3tag with a little forethought BTW, mp3tag works with almost any audio format, not just mp3.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    This is fairly easy to do in mp3tag with a little forethought BTW, mp3tag works with almost any audio format, not just mp3.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Rip with dbpa to whatever album names happen to show up, just make sure disk number is correct. Then load up all the ripped files into mp3tag, select all files and enter the common album name that will apply to all tracks. Then use "convert > tag to file name" to rename all the files and even reorganize them into directories and/or subdirectories. Sounds like a lot of work, but in reality just a 3 or so mouse clicks and a minute of time to easily modify/correct the entire ripped multidisk set.

Thank you for the suggestions - I'll give it a try - Would be nice if it was built in though

Quote Originally Posted by thriftwood View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions - I'll give it a try - Would be nice if it was built in though
    I rip a lot of audiobooks - where possible, unabridged readings which can have many discs in the set. I always rip using dBpoweramp using minimal tags (album name, disc number and album art) and then use mp3tag to sort out all the other tags in one go to ensure absolute consistency. Track names (Naxos audiobooks have track names which are easily accessible) can be input to a text file and then uploaded in one go via mp3tag.