title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Uniform Audio Level confusion

Uniform Audio Level confusion

I've gotten a great thumb-drive now full of some outstandingly good music thanks to DBPoweramp.

However....the audio levels appear to be something that I failed to take into consideration as the volume varies considerably while in playback.

What did I do wrong....and is there a really easy way to bring resolve the issue?

Thanks!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Uniform Audio Level confusion

Quote Originally Posted by DanTurner View Post
    I've gotten a great thumb-drive now full of some outstandingly good music thanks to DBPoweramp.

However....the audio levels appear to be something that I failed to take into consideration as the volume varies considerably while in playback.

What did I do wrong....and is there a really easy way to bring resolve the issue?

Thanks!!
    use dbpa to batch convert to the Replay Gain Utility DSP. This will add Replay Gain tags, and then any ReplayGain-aware player will automatically adjust volume of tracks to try to equalize. Can't recall, but you may need to install the replay gain DSP from "Codec Central"

p.s. none of this changes the audio in the tracks....it simply adds special tags.

Administrator

If your player is not replaygain aware you would have to apply the gain, with a volume normalize, as this changes the data keep copies of the originals.

Thank you very much!

I'll give it a go this weekend and report back same! Again..thank you for the response!

Good info for a heads up. Everything is copied...ready for the batch convert. I'll send back my results in a day or so. Thank you!!

I don't see a way with the replaygain 'codec' to apply the gain.
    As I recall a long time ago there was a codec that would just allow you to process DSP (and thus use the Replaygain (Apply) DSP)
    What's the best way to 'Apply' replaygain to a group of tracks without going through a re-conversion?

Administrator

Use the Volume Normalize DSP effect, this calculates replaygain and applies in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Use the Volume Normalize DSP effect, this calculates replaygain and applies in one.
    Right, there are some other neat options in there. I'll explore that more over straight replaygain.
    I thought there used to be a codec that allowed you to just apply DSP to the given file (MP3 to MP3 or FLAC to FLAC)
    Perhaps I was thinking MP3gain instead.

Thanks

Administrator

There is Replaygain (Apply) DSP effect, however the source file needs to have replaygain ID Tags.