title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Playlists - tip for beginners

Playlists - tip for beginners

As a complete beginner, I struggled to get an imported .m3u playlist working on my QnapNAS and Naim NDX. So a few quick pointers for anyone in a similar position.

I created the playlist on pc using VLC media player and selecting tracks stored on the NAS. I saved the playlist as an .m3u file and uploaded this file to the Asset Playlist folder on the QnapNAS.

The playlist would display fine and it looked as though the tracks had loaded but they wouldn't play. I realised that the address of the files would be different for Asset on the NAS than for VLC on my PC.

I tried editing the music files' addresses by opening the .m3u file in Notepad and using "Replace all". I wrongly assumed I could simply use /share/Multimedia/music/....as the address pathway. It was only when I followed Peter P's advice about using an SFTP client in the "QNAP Asset Specifics" sticky on this forum that I found the true address for my setup is /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Music/......

Another issue was that the VLC created playlist used %20 where there is a space. I also had to use Notepad to replace all instances of %20 with a space. After this the playlist displayed and the files played!

A final headache was that the playlist always played in the same order and I looked for ages to find a way of shuffling or random play in Asset. This forum also provided the answer. Random or shuffle play is not actioned by Asset, it is done by the music streamer (control point?) once the playlist is playing. In my case this simply involved pressing "Random" on the NDX's remote control.

I hope the above is helpful to anyone else trying to get playlists to work.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Playlists - tip for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by derryvolgie View Post
    As a complete beginner, I struggled to get an imported .m3u playlist working on my QnapNAS and Naim NDX. So a few quick pointers for anyone in a similar position.

I created the playlist on pc using VLC media player and selecting tracks stored on the NAS. I saved the playlist as an .m3u file and uploaded this file to the Asset Playlist folder on the QnapNAS.

The playlist would display fine and it looked as though the tracks had loaded but they wouldn't play. I realised that the address of the files would be different for Asset on the NAS than for VLC on my PC.

I tried editing the music files' addresses by opening the .m3u file in Notepad and using "Replace all". I wrongly assumed I could simply use /share/Multimedia/music/....as the address pathway. It was only when I followed Peter P's advice about using an SFTP client in the "QNAP Asset Specifics" sticky on this forum that I found the true address for my setup is /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Music/......

Another issue was that the VLC created playlist used %20 where there is a space. I also had to use Notepad to replace all instances of %20 with a space. After this the playlist displayed and the files played!

A final headache was that the playlist always played in the same order and I looked for ages to find a way of shuffling or random play in Asset. This forum also provided the answer. Random or shuffle play is not actioned by Asset, it is done by the music streamer (control point?) once the playlist is playing. In my case this simply involved pressing "Random" on the NDX's remote control.

I hope the above is helpful to anyone else trying to get playlists to work.
    Just to add that if you use a relative path for the files in the m3u and the playlists are all in a folder under the main tree (eg. "music/playlists" then the path would be "../") then you wouldn't need to use the absolute path described. And they would be portable.

And yes it's the control point that has the shuffle/repeat functionality.