title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD Ripper shows Accurate but Perfect Tunes says inaccurate

CD Ripper shows Accurate but Perfect Tunes says inaccurate

Hi there,

got a severe prob ripping my cd collection with dBp.
    After a loss of nearly all my ripped music CDs (about 20.000 files) due to a hard disk crash I'm working on re-ripping them with dBpoweramp v.16.5 for Mac to apple lossless (m4a). My computer is an iMac mid 2015, the CD-drive is a Plextor PX-230A. The used Storage is a USB 3.0 RAID5-bunch of disks in an ICY Box case.

I re-ripped nearly 600 songs, the cd-ripper said always accurate, when I heard today a suspect ugly noise peak in the mid of a song. After checking the new rips with Perfect Tunes it says that the most songs from 15 albums are inaccurate. How could that happen? dBp ripper says accurate and Perfect tunes says not.

What can be the mistake?
    What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
    Derek

Re: CD Ripper shows Accurate but Perfect Tunes says inaccurate

Actually, there are some more problems, as I mentioned some weeks ago, look here:

First one: cut text at the right hand side. Making the windows wider doesn't take effect, makes just bigger distance between left side and right side info.

Second: Not checkable music files. There might be much more inaccurate or defect songs

Can't read info text at the right hand side as well.

And only two albums accurately ripped (from 45!):

Thanks for reading
    Derek

There are some other probs, see screenshots, maybe somebody can explain or help (count from left to right):

First and all: 15 inaccurate albums See the right hand side cut text in Perfect Tunes.
    Second: 27 albums (from 45) couldn't get checked. Reason is cut.
    Third: only two accurately ripped albums - although dBp says accurate (see fourth image)
    Fourth: Typical window after ripping (45 times!)
    Strange, isn't it?

Screenshot 2019-03-24 20.26.09.jpg Screenshot 2019-03-24 20.35.50.jpg Screenshot 2019-03-24 20.42.51.jpg Screenshot 2019-03-24 20.59.08.jpg

According to this I will stop ripping until I find a work around or until I can solve the problem, ideally with your help.

Thanks for reading this

Derek
    Last edited by siriussurfer; 03-24-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Administrator

All your DSP effects you have when ripping change the audio data, if you trim the silence from the end, it cannot match AccurateRip as part of the track is gone.

Also volume normalize changes all data, including Replaygain (apply).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yeah... to echo what Spoon said, all of your DSPs change the audio data. That would definitely cause problems with PerfectTunes.

Thanks for the hint.
    So the ugly noise peak I hear might be also caused by the DSPs?
    Is that right?
    If so, which of them might cause that noise peak?

Administrator

You should only have 1 DSP effect: Replaygain

(not the apply one)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You should only have 1 DSP effect: Replaygain

(not the apply one)
    Thank you very much.
    According to your recommendation I'll leave all DSP effects but Replaygain (that doesn't change audio data, right?).

Any idea what the horrible noise peak might be caused of (please listen to the following sound snippet)?

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27hn42ektc...0Loop.wav?dl=0

Thanks again
    Derek

Administrator

Replaygain will not change the data.

You have re-ripped with only replaygain? and listened to the original CD? some are mastered incorrectly.

Replaygain will not change the data.
    You have re-ripped with only replaygain? and listened to the original CD? some are mastered incorrectly.
    Re-ripped not yet. I will re-rip all CDs today.

That sound peak you hear in the above mentioned snippet is possibly caused by sth. different. I'm just curious what might cause such mistakes.

The original CD is in order, no disturbing noise when I play it with dBp CD Ripper before ripping.

Actually I'll have to prove all new ripps with perfect tunes if don't find the cause of the a quarter second (or so) lasting (white/pink?) noise.

Thanks again.
    Derek

Administrator

You need to try to rip the same track without those DSP effects.

If you rip to wave and tag the files, then badly written players play the ID Tags as audio. You are best ripping to FLAC.

You need to try to rip the same track without those DSP effects.
    I did that and after many attempts of re-ripping several tracks (nearly each trial brought up new mistakes) it worked. The FZ Philly '76 is accurately ripped now.

If you rip to wave and tag the files, then badly written players play the ID Tags as audio.
    At the moment I'm using VLC for listening after ripping although it seems not to be able to play gapless. I don't waste time in solving this because ripping for me is mainly intended for archiving purposes and playing them with external devices (iPhone, FiiO X3, M7). Sometimes I use iTunes, mainly for loading the tracks on the iPhone.

You are best ripping to FLAC.
    Yes Sir, I do this now. I'm using Multi Encoder for ripping to ALAC for Apple devices and FLAC for the other devices I'm using.

But this causes new mistakes, as it seems.

Some minutes ago I ripped a CD with no visible scratches or other damages.
    The job done bBpa CDR said this:

Attachment 2350

That's a propitious view.
    But: Because of my unlucky experiences of yesterday (see above) I nonetheless ran PerfectTUNES (PT) AccurateRip to check the accuracies of the ripped tracks.
    The result was not propitious at all. Please have a look at this:

Screenshot 2019-03-30 19.43.34.jpg

So I ripped the two tracks again. The PT-Check showed up three faulty .m4a (ALAC) tracks. Re-ripped them again.
    The story so far. I'm wondering now:

1. Why does the dBpa window show an accurate rip for all tracks after ripping - although the subsequently following PT-check shows up some faulty tracks?
    2. Why are some ALAC tracks accurate but the same FLAC tracks are not, both from the same rip?

I don't understand this. Can anybody explain it to me? I'd like to eliminate the sources of the errors. :-)

Software used for ripping and playing/listening
    • dBpoweramp R16.5 for Mac (OS X 10.14.3). In dBpa settings was the above mentioned first rip done with Multi Encoder (ALAC and FLAC), rip 2 and 3 with single decoder (FLAC respectively ALAC). No DSPs, not even ReplayGain.
    • VLC
    • iTunes
    • Anytune

Thanks for reading up to here.
    And thank you again for your helpful replies.

Cheers
    Derek

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by siriussurfer View Post
    At the moment I'm using VLC for listening after ripping although it seems not to be able to play gapless...
    FYI, using VLC as an audio player is not advisable as it often has issues playing back tagged audio files.

Administrator

For the FLAC tracks which are showing as inaccurate, try selecting one of the tracks in finder >> right click >> dBpoweramp Convert

set the encoder as 'Test Conversion', run it, does it say the flac file is corrupted?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    FYI, using VLC as an audio player is not advisable as it often has issues playing back tagged audio files.
    Thanks for the advice. I don't really use VLC as my regular music player but mainly for proving purposes.

Anyway, which (software) player is advisable as an audio player for Mac - besides iTunes.

Thanks,
    Derek
    Last edited by siriussurfer; 04-04-2019 at 01:23 PM.