title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using my GPU and some other questions

Using my GPU and some other questions

Hi,

I using the 1.6 trial version on W7x64, having a GTX 1060 installed.

I use HWINFO64 to monitor what's happening, and when converting to MKV h.264 or H.265, the GPU load remains at zero.

So, how do I use it for encoding?

Second question: I also tested on a 6 core 12 thread I7-3930K CPU. Even if I use the Multi-cpu force option, when converting to MKV H.264, I'm running around 50% cpu load only. With H.265, I do reach 100%. So, my 6 core is under used with H.264 encoding. I'm running at half its speed. What can I do use the 12 threads at 100%?

Third question: my source is an NTCS 29.970fps .ts file that I convert to a 23.970 MKV file. Does that mean that VC performs detelecine automatically, or just plain de-interlace?

And finally I set up Enable Profile on Converter. But I don't see how to save a profile that holds all the parameters for re-use, I only found how to save the DSP effects.

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Using my GPU and some other questions

You would have to select the Nvidia encoding option to use the GPU.

If the encoder is not using all CPU cores then encode multiple files at the same time, this will use the other cores encoding the 2nd file.

RE 3: you would best use the frame rate DSP effect to get highest quality

RE 4: profiles will appear in the encoder drop menu, choose the create profile option there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You would have to select the Nvidia encoding option to use the GPU.
    Duh, pretty obvious now that you pointed it out.

And impressive: it runs 6 to 10 times faster.

If the encoder is not using all CPU cores then encode multiple files at the same time, this will use the other cores encoding the 2nd file.
    Nor a real answer, but it does not matter with the NVIDIA speedup.

RE 3: you would best use the frame rate DSP effect to get highest quality
    Thanks.

RE 4: profiles will appear in the encoder drop menu, choose the create profile option there.
    Here also, a very obvious thing I missed.

- A bug report: when starting the encoding, sometimes the windows disappears. It's still in the taskbar and the encoding works, but you cannot see it. It seems like a bug worth mentioning. At first I thought it was only over RDP, but it also happened on the console. I haven't been able to find a way to repeat the problem consistently.

Thank you for your help.

Where exactly can I select the "Nvidia encoding option" to use the GPU?
    I could not find it...

Administrator

If you are using OS X, there is no such encoder.