title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Long term FLAC Archiving, M-DISC, and ultimately parting with my CDs? Thoughts?

Long term FLAC Archiving, M-DISC, and ultimately parting with my CDs? Thoughts?

Greetings!

Very simply, I'm wanting to get opinions on the best way to archive my music collection for as long term as possible. With the potential for Disc Rot etc, I don't want to rely solely on my physical media (Redbook CDs, CD-Rs, SACDs, etc) for the long term. Likewise, I don't want to solely rely on my ripped files being stored on hard drives long term either, as hard drives can be vulnerable to electromagnetic energy, data corruption and drive failure.

This brings me to M-Disc, which are apparently extremely durable, and lasting a theoretical 1000 years.

Anyways, after a couple of tedious long years, I've (finally) managed to rip my entire CD collection to FLAC (thank you CD Ripper!). I have every bit of it backed-up on 3 seperate hard drives (two at home, one off-site). So my plan moving forward is (in addition to the hard drives) to backup everything onto M-Disc. I'll then likely sell-off the CDs I can live without, keeping only the rare, out-of-print, autographed and audiophile media (which I'll probably never be able to part with).

So after all this, the lingering questions in my mind are:

1. Having ripped all my CDs to FLAC, am I safe to sell-off CDs? I figure there's no sure answer here, but how enduring is the FLAC codec likely to be? Is it safe to say I'll be able to convert my music files to any new codec that may replace FLAC in the future?

2. Anyone here have personal experience using M-Disc for archiving? Any special considerations or advice here?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance everyone and for taking the time=)
    Last edited by Theleb_Kaarna; 03-16-2019 at 08:22 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Long term FLAC Archiving, M-DISC, and ultimately parting with my CDs? Thoughts?

You don't need M-Disc. Just make sure you backup your flac files, including off-site and/or cloud backups.