title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Does Inaccurate Necessarily Mean a Ripping Error?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Does Inaccurate Necessarily Mean a Ripping Error?

Some CDs, mostly older ones, get a few tracks that CDRipper marks "Inaccurate." I had one CD, which is probably around 30 years old, get every track marked that way. But, in listening to a sample of those tracks, I don't really hear anything that sounds off. Is it possible that a CD that CDRipper marks "Inaccurate" had no ripping errors? What is the likelihood? Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Does Inaccurate Necessarily Mean a Ripping Error?

There is no certain way to be sure, without an AccurateRip verification you rely on the CD drive to self verify and errors can slip through undetected.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have re-ripped my entire CD collection (About 6500 Discs) to FLAC recently. A number of tracks have come up as inaccurate. I played the files all the way through using headphones and 99% of the inaccurate files had no problem with the audio, so I added a separate tag "AccuRipNotes" to those files to indicate the files play fine. A few of them had errors, some severe where tracks ended early and the beginning of the next track filled the rest of the time, or part of the track is repeated several times. I re-ripped those tracks, sometimes several times and using 3 different drives when needed, until I got a good copy. Funny, but a cheap Lite-On USB external CD drive I bought about 7 years ago seemed to do the best job with the problem tracks.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by chippe01 View Post
    I have re-ripped my entire CD collection (About 6500 Discs) to FLAC recently. A number of tracks have come up as inaccurate. I played the files all the way through using headphones and 99% of the inaccurate files had no problem with the audio, so I added a separate tag "AccuRipNotes" to those files to indicate the files play fine. A few of them had errors, some severe where tracks ended early and the beginning of the next track filled the rest of the time, or part of the track is repeated several times. I re-ripped those tracks, sometimes several times and using 3 different drives when needed, until I got a good copy. Funny, but a cheap Lite-On USB external CD drive I bought about 7 years ago seemed to do the best job with the problem tracks.
    Thanks.

What is different to them to secure rip ?

Administrator

A secure rip is likely where the disc is not in AccurateRip and the drive thinks it ripped without error.