title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Edit Id-Tag (Bug): Custom tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MercerNYC
    • Mar 2019

Edit Id-Tag (Bug): Custom tags

Two bugs...I'm using Windows 10, dbppoweramp version 16.6

1) One of the default ID tags is "Comment" which I often populate, but in other apps there is a "Comments" tag (plural), so I add a custom "Comments" tag, as well. I've noticed when I ADD a custom tag for "Comments" on FLAC formats and save, everything is fine, but when I right mouse click on the file to convert it to an mp3 format, the "Comments" tag gets mangled and is changed to "Comment s" (note the addition of a space/whitespace character). Incidentally, this also happens when I create the same custome tag on WAV files and convert them to FLAC (I know WAV files have issues w/ metadata tags in general, so I'm less concerned about WAV files).

2) When I try to fix the "Comment s" custom tag by deleting "Comment s" and re-entering "Comments", the change does not persist/stay fixed. So, this particular custom ID-tag is not just a problem during conversion. Basically, I can't add a "Comments" ID-tag on mp3s (this may be the case with other files but I haven't checked)

Please fix when you can. I now have thousands of mp3 files with "Comment s" metadata tags.

Thanks much,
    M
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Edit Id-Tag (Bug): Custom tags

>, but in other apps there is a "Comments" tag (plural)

Out of interest, which other apps use comments? as 'Comment' is the standard tag which is across all formats (even mp3 has a special place holder for it)
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• PeterP
      Super Moderator
      • Jul 2011

Problem reproduced, thanks for reporting.

We're addressing this for the next update.

Comment

• MercerNYC
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Spoon
        >, but in other apps there is a "Comments" tag (plural)

Out of interest, which other apps use comments? as 'Comment' is the standard tag which is across all formats (even mp3 has a special place holder for it)
        The Windows 10 File Explorer (right mouse click on column header, select "More...", then add the "Comments" to the Details view)

Quick check -

If I populate "Comment" and "Comment s" iTunes shows what I put in your "Comment" field (in the UI), but what's interesting is if I remove it in iTunes, your Edit Tag editor drops it (indicating you are right - "Comment" is used behind-the-scenes - at least for iTunes) but in the Windows 10 File Explorer I can still see "Comments" (i.e., whatever I put in custom "Comment s" field added in Edit-Id Tag feature). Not sure how Win10 is picking it up. Maybe you're storing "Comments" correctly in a var or DB table behind-the-scenes and the UI isn't rendering it correctly (or it's getting mangled in a final parse(?) and only affects the UI(?)
        Last edited by MercerNYC; 03-12-2019, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• PeterP
          Super Moderator
          • Jul 2011

Windows Explorer names the field 'comments'. Other apps refer to the same field by 'comment'. Please use 'comment' when working with dBpoweramp tag editor.

Comment

Working...

]]>