title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Different file sizes with different dbPoweramp + m4a codec versions. Please help.

Question Different file sizes with different dbPoweramp + m4a codec versions. Please help.

Hi guys, I have converted all my FLAC library a couple of years ago with dbPoweramp to m4a using VBR Q3 setting.

Now I have bought a new PC, updated to dbPoweramp newest version and m4a codec version. Now I tried to convert the same song using the same preset - and its file size increased! Same happens with other songs too. And no artworks do not account for increased file size. I'm Quite sure. Because source file for conversion is the same. However please look at the screenshot.

GVCuBlx.png

The newer version causes bigger file size. The Does not seem like an improvement. What do you guys think. Should I upgrade my whole library by re-encoding every FLAC file I had with newer dbPoweramp version? Would the quality be increased enough to be noticed? Please share your thoughts.

any ideas?

Administrator

Re: Different file sizes with different dbPoweramp + m4a codec versions. Please help.

The encoder has been updated and it is not unknown that tuning parameters change inside of the codec, so file size should not be relied upon. If the size is larger then it is likely of a higher quality, but the difference was around 200KB on a 15,000KB file, so ~ 1% difference, not much. A 1% change is unlikely to be audible.

Re: Different file sizes with different dbPoweramp + m4a codec versions. Please help.

Thank you very much for clearing that up.