title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Avoid Unsafe Characters In Filenames?

Avoid Unsafe Characters In Filenames?

Hi,

I'm a satisfied customer of Music Converter and Asset UPNP for many years. Originally PC than for the past decade or so on Mac. Recently I moved my Music Library to a Synology NAS and bought a new copy of Asset UPNP. I just discovered Synology hates a few things, in particular folder names ending with a "." and file names containing a "?". Copying a file with a ? to Synology loses its name and extension meaning it doesn't appear as an audio file. Over the years Music converter created many files meeting these criteria and it all worked fine happily on my Mac.

Question, without substituting or eliminating any of these characters in the tags, for future rips or conversions, is there a way to prevent occurrences of these things in file and folder names? E.g. ArtistName can still be R.E.M. but folder will be named R.E.M and similarly drop all "?" from file names while leaving in tags.

Thanks,
    amosh

Administrator

Re: Avoid Unsafe Characters In Filenames?

On the Mac, launch dBpoweramp, click 'Configure' and you can set the filename restricted characters:

https://dbpoweramp.com/dmchelposx/dMCConfig.htm

Thank you. Quick reply as ever. I was going in via Ripper prefs and had forgotten about this bit. Must have dropped a couple of settings along the way.

After restoring my substitutions, I realised I still down't know how to prevent a folder name from ending in a dot. I don't really want to prohibit dots across the board for filenames, this is only applicable to folders and only to any trailing dots.

Regards,
    amosh

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    On the Mac, launch dBpoweramp, click 'Configure' and you can set the filename restricted characters:

https://dbpoweramp.com/dmchelposx/dMCConfig.htm

Hi

Apologies if this is a duplicate reply - 1st one "disappeared".

Thanks for the fast reply. I'd somehow forgotten how to access this and when I went back to look, a couple of substitutions had 'gone missing'.

Anyway, having restored them I still don't know what to do to prevent trailing dots on folder names. I don't want to substitute dots everywhere in my filenames, this only applies to folders not files. Not sure if the no trailing dots on folders is unique to Synology.

Regards,
    Amos

PS. Just upgrading to 16.5 - I have a single mac copy and a family pack copy. Both download files are called 'DMC-R16.5-Registered' and having mixed up which file is which I can't see any differentiating attributes and after installing it only says 16.5 Registered Reference, not single or family.
    Last edited by amosh; 03-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Administrator

The install is the same for both, we trust our users.

There is no way to prevent the folders with trailing dot.

Thanks Spoon. Excellent service as always.

PS very impressed with the simplicity of setup for Asset on Synology easy as on the Mac version.