title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Track Titles Disappearing in CD Ripper

Smile Track Titles Disappearing in CD Ripper

Greetings,

I have used dBpoweramp for some time to rip CDs, but only on an irregular basis, so do not understand all of the intricacies involved. Repeatedly, however, I run into the following issue (possibly an important detail: for CDs that come with music sheets, so aren't available in CD stores or likely to be found on provider data bases):

When putting the CD in a drive, initially the track titles are listed as one would expect, only to be changed to simple track numbers (Track 1, Track 2, etc.) seconds later.

Usually, in order to have the best possible data or match, I select all providers, but have noticed in cases such as described above that selecting only CD-text seems to work. CD-text combined with MusicBrainz and/or freedb and/or PerfectMeta also seems to work. CD-text in combination with Discogs, on the other hand, doesn't work.

What could be the cause of this? Or is there something I'm doing wrong? The only thing I can think of is that there's some order of precedence amongst the providers, where one (with unknown or blank records) overrules the one that has (CD-text in this case). Selecting single providers one by one under Retrieve Metadata From is a possibility to bypass the issue, I suppose, but that can be a bit tedious if you have a few dozen CDs.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions or solutions.

Luc

Btw, I'm using release 16.6

Administrator

Re: Track Titles Disappearing in CD Ripper

You see the track details filled in (from CD Text) then is removed by no match from Discogs?

That's correct, Spoon. Only with Discogs this appears to be the case.
    For what it's worth, I have tried with all four providers separately (Discogs, GD3, MusicBrainz and freedb) and none of them have data/track titles for this particular CD I'm using to test (though the problem occurs with several others, all from the same publisher). However, only when combing CD-Text, that does have the data, with Discogs the track titles are cleared and renamed Track 1, etc.
    Strangely enough, when combining CD-Text with PerfectMeta (which, if I'm correct, searches all four providers, i.e., including Discogs) this clearing of track titles does not occur. So for now, I have selected CD-Text and PerfectMeta as Active Providers, although it looks like there is either a bug or an unintended "order of precedence" of Discogs over all or some others.
    I hope this information helps, and thank you for your assistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Ok thanks, this gives us something to work with.

I'm also having some issues with getting track titles from the internet. I have dMC-R16.6-Ref-Registered installed. When I load the CD I want to rip, the track list pop-up does not appear. When I click on the Meta icon, the message is PerfectMeta Disabled (requires dbPowerAmp reference). Since I have Reference installed I'm wondering what I am doing wrong.

Administrator

Check you have reference installed by running dBpoweramp Control Center, it should say 'Reference Registered', it is does not then uninstall dBpoweramp and install the registered version.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

I reported this problem several months ago, and yet it unfortunately still exists. It's not just CD-Text that disappears. CD-ISRC also frequently appears and then disappears. In each case, when this happens, there is no reported metadata in the "Review PerfectMeta Matches" fields.

For those of you also suffering from this malady, I've found that I can recover the CD-Text, CD-ISRC and possibly CD-UPC information by "forcing" dBpoweramp to re-read this information using the "Retrieve Metadata From" option on the Menu. After doing so, dBpoweramp's cache seems to take hold and remember the metadata.

And yes, I have the Reference Registered version of version 16.6.

I find it rather odd that this issue continues to remain a problem. I also find it odd that the FLAC encoder is still listed as version 1..3.3 Beta. Why is it that a beta version is still in use? Is this due a lack of interest or due diligence on the part of the official FLAC development team, or is it indifference on the part of the dBpoweramp developers?

Dennis... aka "d2b"
    Last edited by d2b; 03-14-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Administrator

> Is this due a lack of interest or due diligence on the part of the official FLAC development team

FLACs current release 1.3.2 which has been out for around 2 years has a serious bug which affects around 5% of people and stops all encoding. So we either:

Go back to 1.3.1, which is perhaps 4 years old

or bite the bullet and release 1.3.3 beta, which even though is a beta, has no known issues when compared to 1.3.2

If I was running FLAC, 1.3.3 would have been 1.3.2 + fix (without anything else) and it would have released 1 month after the initial reports (so around 2 years ago).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Yes, I understand what you are doing, but regardless of which organization created the 1.3.3. beta version of the encoder. it seems irresponsible not to insist that the "official" FLAC development team test, bless and adopt it as an official 1.3.3 version. Who did fix the 1.3.2 bug? I'm especially interested because the two leaders of our team were impacted by the 1.3.2 bug, as we both were using HP xw9400 workstations with AMD processors.

Dennis, aka "d2b"

Administrator

Here is your point of contact:

https://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git

Erik de Castro, good luck getting your message through to him.