title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch Converting to 44/16

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Batch Converting to 44/16

I have many audio files, most in 44/16 FLAC but also quite a few in 96/24 or 192/24 FLAC or various forms of DSD. Is there a way to point Batch Converter to the entire universe of files and have it convert 96/24 (or 88/24) and 192/24 FLAC to 44/16 FLAC and convert DSD to 44/16 FLAC with a low-pass filter? I am trying to avoid having to figure out which files in the giant universe of files are greater than 44/16. I would like Batch Converter to output the converted files to a new folder so it doesn't overwrite the originals. Ultimately, my goal is to transfer the 44/16 files to an iPhone. I don't have to convert them to ALAC, as I already have a utility that does that on the fly when copying to the iPhone.

Thanks for any help.

Administrator

Re: Batch Converting to 44/16

There is the conditional encode dsp effect.

Batch Converter also can filter file type.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    There is the conditional encode dsp effect.

Batch Converter also can filter file type.
    Running conditional encode. It is reading and writing seemingly every track, even those below the 48/16 threshold. Is that behavior correct, or did I set something incorrectly? Thanks.

Administrator

You can set the Action to 'Skip file' for sample rate 'below 88khz'

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can set the Action to 'Skip file' for sample rate 'below 88khz'
    When I was running a conversion of any file (FLAC or DSD) above 48/16 to 44/16 FLAC, Batch Converter reported a speed of around 10x. When I stopped the process and switched to a conversion to ALAC 44/16 of any file (FLAC or DSD) above 44/16, the speed jumped to 110x and, by the time it finished, was at around 90x. The ALAC conversion took around 13 hours instead of the projected 4 days for the aborted FLAC conversion.

Why is it so much faster to convert to ALAC? (I assume the lowering of the threshold from 48 KHz to 44 KHz didn't impact anything much.)

Thanks.

Administrator

Which compression setting did you have for FLAC? Changing the sample rate is quite CPU intensive, more than compressing.