title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDCD DSP Not Working in Windows 10

Question HDCD DSP Not Working in Windows 10

Hi all,

Up until the last few weeks I have had no problems using the HDCD DSP effect to convert HDCD-encoded files to 24-bit decoded files. Sometime recently, however, it has stopped working. I now end up with a regular 16-bit file that is still HDCD-encoded. I don't get an error message of any kind. It just doesn't work.

I also tried using Foobar2000 to do the conversion but that was also unsuccessful. It appears that my machine is somehow not recognizing the HDCD.exe command when applying it through conversion software.

I was, however, able to do a successful decoding of a file by manually entering the command using the command prompt in Windows 10.

I have also tried disabling any virus protection with no success. Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows 10 Pro (Version 1803)

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: HDCD DSP Not Working in Windows 10

Open a command prompt and try to manually run hdcd.exe and see what message is shown.

Did this and it worked with no issues.

Administrator

Try to uninstall all anti virus and any malware protection you have. Something is blocking dBpoweramp and foobar from running this program.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try to uninstall all anti virus and any malware protection you have. Something is blocking dBpoweramp and foobar from running this program.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I tried this also and I still can't get it to work. :(

dBpoweramp Guru

Given that this is on the 1803 version of Win 10, could this be a controlled folder access problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Given that this is on the 1803 version of Win 10, could this be a controlled folder access problem?
    I checked this and controlled folder access is disabled on my machine. I also uninstalled all virus protection (except for that pesky Windows Defender which won't come off) and still no luck. Color me flummoxed.

One more thing...

I created a debug log with my latest conversion. The log recognized that is was using the HDCD DSP but it listed it as "non-live". Any idea what that means? Sorry to keep harping on this but I'm really curious as to why this doesn't work on my machine anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One last thing....

I used CueTools to successfully convert an HDCD-encoded file to a 24-bit FLAC. I'm not sure why it works for CueTools and not DbPoweramp or Foobar2000, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Tried this but controlled folder access is disabled on my machine.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Ho Tep View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I tried this also and I still can't get it to work. :(
    Did you try, running Windows in safe mode?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Did you try, running Windows in safe mode?
    Tried Safe Mode. Still no go. I have to admit that I'm starting to get really frustrated with this situation. I love dBPoweramp and the HDCD DSP is one of the things that gets the most use and it's basically useless now.

I don't understand how it can just stop functioning.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Ho Tep View Post
    Tried Safe Mode. Still no go. I have to admit that I'm starting to get really frustrated with this situation. I love dBPoweramp and the HDCD DSP is one of the things that gets the most use and it's basically useless now.

I don't understand how it can just stop functioning.
    I know that this doesn't really help you, but I have just tested ripping an HDCD using dBpoweramp R16.4 on a Windows 10 Pro version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165). The CD ripped as expected, with no errors.

Since none of the suggestions have worked (I do appreciate all of your help), what's next? Should I wait for the next update and hope that it's fixed?

Administrator

R17 will use a different HDCD decoder (one built in) so the HDCD.exe cannot be blocked.