title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Jukebox preview playlist not the actual playlist

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Jukebox preview playlist not the actual playlist

Hi, running Asset 6.2 on a Synology box, control point is Linn Kazoo on iOS. Enjoying the jukebox feature on a lazy Sunday, but noticed that the track selection shown in Kazoo's preview pane is not the one I get when I tap the Play Now button - the actual playlist loaded to the DS is a different list. I've checked, and it's not the same list just shuffled. Is this a minor bug?

Administrator

Re: Jukebox preview playlist not the actual playlist

Each time you browse into the folder a new list is generated.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

but if I press the Play Now button, I'd expect the list shown to be played, but in fact a new list is generated. Seems to defeat the purpose of showing a list...

Administrator

It is the control panel (kazoo) which is requesting the new list when you click 'Play Now', it is not using the list shown on screen.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ac16161 View Post
    but if I press the Play Now button, I'd expect the list shown to be played, but in fact a new list is generated. Seems to defeat the purpose of showing a list...
    I have noticed this too. But seeing as it's random does it really matter? When using the Jukebox Album selection you can then choose which album to play, hence the list. I agree it doesn't quite work with tracks in the same way.
    Have you tried a different control point? I just tried BubbleDS Next which does actually load what's listed. It doesn;t refresh it (ie ask for a new list like Kazoo does) unless you tell it to reload. I guess it's to do with how the control point handles things.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I agree that wherever the bug is, it's a minor one. However, I just asked my brother to try this with his Naim system and he has the same issue, so either the Naim and Linn apps both have the same bug, or it's an issue with Asset.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I agree that wherever the bug is, it's a minor one. However, I just asked my brother to try this with his Naim system and he has the same issue, so either the Naim and Linn apps both have the same bug, or it's an issue with Asset.
    As stated, it's not a bug. It's down to how the control point collates the tracks into a playlist. Bubble obviously stores what's been requested internally and it only re-requests it if you select "reload". The Naim and Linn apps automatically re-request it when you select Play.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timster67 View Post
    As stated, it's not a bug. It's down to how the control point collates the tracks into a playlist. Bubble obviously stores what's been requested internally and it only re-requests it if you select "reload". The Naim and Linn apps automatically re-request it when you select Play.
    I see. So you are saying this is more of a feature where a re-request is sent by the Control Point for the list upon a container-level Play Now event, and whereas we'd always get the same list back if the list is non-random (e.g. the album just selected), in jukebox mode the seed used for the previously supplied random list is not preserved and Asset by default creates a new list. So Asset could get around this by preserving the seed/list in some way, e.g. recycle the list if not timed out?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I see. So you are saying this is more of a feature where a re-request is sent by the Control Point for the list upon a container-level Play Now event, and whereas we'd always get the same list back if the list is non-random (e.g. the album just selected), in jukebox mode the seed used for the previously supplied random list is not preserved and Asset by default creates a new list. So Asset could get around this by preserving the seed/list in some way, e.g. recycle the list if not timed out?
    The generated list probably isn't preserved in Asset, there would be no reason for it to be as it currently works. So your suggestion would be one for Spoon et al. But I think it would be undesirable, if not impractical. It may require as much if not more work to implement as the control points to implement list preservation and a reload function.