title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dBpoweramp says files are accurate, cuetools says they aren't

dBpoweramp says files are accurate, cuetools says they aren't

So, I've been ripping a bunch of CDs and the files of discs with tracks that can't be ripped accurately I've been setting aside (i.e. not putting the files in my main library) so that I can take a better look at the discs later on.

Now, a few days I ago I realized I accidentally moved the wrong disc, but I wasn't sure which one so I googled if there's a tool to bulk check flac files to accuraterip. And I found Cuetools. So, I dumped my files into Cuetools and sure enough I find the disc. However... Where dBpoweramp reports 1 track which couldn't be accurately ripped, according to Cuetools all the flac files (the whole disc) aren't accurate.

Why is there a discrepancy between dBpoweramp and Cuetools if they're using the same Accuraterip database?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: dBpoweramp says files are accurate, cuetools says they aren't

CueTools will not check pressing offsets with the new AccurateRip v2 CRC, dBpoweramp and PerfectTUNEs will.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post151550

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    CueTools will not check pressing offsets with the new AccurateRip v2 CRC, dBpoweramp and PerfectTUNEs will.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post151550
    But how then is it possible that discs that have been fully ripped accuratly (according to dBpoweramp) are also fully accurate according to CueTools? And when a disc has a single inaccurate file, all the files suddenly become inaccurate?

I'm checking .flac files , the offset has no effect on the final flac file right? Or am I spewing nonsense now (which is probably most likely haha).

Administrator

You would have to post some log files so we can comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You would have to post some log files so we can comment.
    I'm happy to supply any logs you want, but I don't know which ones you mean. CueTools doesn't generate any log files in verify mode (as far as I can tell).
    In any case, here's an example with images of what I explained above:

The album used in this example is a 2-disc set. Disc 1 ripped 100% correct according to (and with) dBpoweramp. CueTools agrees:
    cuetools1.PNG

Then disc 2. Disc 2 has 1 track that isn't ripped correctly according to dBpoweramp:
    dbpoweramp2.PNG

But when loading the files into CueTools, suddenly all tracks are inaccurate:
    cuetools2.PNG

I haven't tested a whole lot, but I did test a few discs with and with inaccurately ripped tracks and it looks like the behavior is the same and isn't limited to this one disc.

Now, I don't know if this is a problem with dBpoweramp or CueTools (though, honestly, I would expect it is the latter). I don't really care which one it is, as long as there's a way for me to check my already ripped flac files to AccurateRip. There isn't a functionality like that in dBpoweramp right? If there's any other tool that can do that please let me know, I'm interested in that for its functionality, but also to crosscheck the results with CueTools (and dBpoweramp of course) regarding this 'problem' I'm having.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Landcross View Post
    I don't really care which one it is, as long as there's a way for me to check my already ripped flac files to AccurateRip. There isn't a functionality like that in dBpoweramp right? If there's any other tool that can do that please let me know, I'm interested in that for its functionality, but also to crosscheck the results with CueTools (and dBpoweramp of course) regarding this 'problem' I'm having.
    There is, PerfectTUNES (unregistered is free, but has limitations), garym mentioned it in post no. 2.
    Last edited by mville; 02-11-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Administrator

dBpoweramp verified the Rip, there is nothing more to do. Cue tools gives a clue also, each track only differs by 11 samples, for each track. This means you have a different pressing to the one in CueTools dB. Cutetools is not able to lookup independent of pressing offsets, like dBpoweramp can with AccurateRip v2, that is why dBpoweramp matches and Cuetools does not.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    There is, PerfectTUNES (unregistered is free, but has limitations), garym mentioned it in post no. 2.
    Huh, cool, I didn't know PerfectTunes could do that. Though, to be fair, I never really looked into PerfectTunes anyway. But, I installed the free version and checked my flac files and it indeed picked up the inaccurately ripped album which was mentioned above. But, unlike CueTools, it reported only 1 track inaccurate instead of the whole file. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    dBpoweramp verified the Rip, there is nothing more to do. Cue tools gives a clue also, each track only differs by 11 samples, for each track. This means you have a different pressing to the one in CueTools dB. Cutetools is not able to lookup independent of pressing offsets, like dBpoweramp can with AccurateRip v2, that is why dBpoweramp matches and Cuetools does not.
    I still find it quite weird that for any disc with a single wrong track the whole disc is suddenly inaccurate (according to CueTools), but any disc with accurate tracks can be perfectly matched by Cuetools. I don't think it's a pressing difference, but more likely a bug in CueTools. Nevertheless, as user mville posted above PerfectTunes can do exactly what I was looking for so I'll ditch CueTools again

Btw; I thought the offsets only mattered (in other words, produced a different end-result) when making a 1:1 copy of a disc (e.g. in .bin/.cue format) and not when ripping separate tracks. But the CD format/specification is quite extensive and I never really looked into it, thought I do find it quite fascinating.

----

Anyway, I'll stop using CueTools and start using PerfectTunes for checking my .flac files (if I ever happen to have the need for it again). Thanks everyone