title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Very slow ripping all of a sudden

Unhappy Very slow ripping all of a sudden

Hi,

I've been ripping CDs fast & smooth with dBpoweramp for years and years on the same hardware. As of this morning ripping is very slow:
    • The first track of the CD is read at the usual speed (around 22x), until the indicator says "Pass 1 Ripping 99%"
    • At that point nothing seems to be happening for a long time: about 4 minutes.
    • Eventually it encodes the track and moves on to the next, where the same thing happens

I've reripped a CD that I ripped a week ago, and it exhibits the exact same behaviour as the two new CDs I started ripping this morning.
    I'm ripping to the local hard drive.
    There's no errors in the Error & Information log:
    Code:
    Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'D:\rip-CD\FLAC\Thunder\[1996] The Thrill of It All\01 - Pilot of My Dreams.flac'
       Track 1:  Ripped LBA 0 to 20341 (4:31) in 4:34. Filename: D:\rip-CD\FLAC\Thunder\[1996] The Thrill of It All\01 - Pilot of My Dreams.flac
         AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 5)     [Pass 1]
         CRC32: ECDCC3B4     AccurateRip CRC: F7678903     [DiscID: 011-001488c3-00b3a51b-810c1c0b-1]
         AccurateRip Verified Confidence 5 [CRCv1 f7678903], Using Pressing Offset +655
         AccurateRip Verified Confidence 3 [CRCv2 60fd434], Using Pressing Offset +637
         AccurateRip Verified Confidence 4 [CRCv2 28143315], Using Pressing Offset -21
         AccurateRip Verified Confidence 2 [CRCv2 e3d42ceb], Using Pressing Offset -27
    I haven't touched anything since ripping successfully last week. I've rebooted the machine, just in case.

I've tried both the CD drives that I regularly use for ripping, with the same results. One is a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223L, the other a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4482B

CPU usage during all this is low, around 3 to 4% (except for a brief spike to do the encoding, of course).

I checked that the drive is in DMA mode (it says Ultra DMA 2).

This is a Windows 10 machine (old i7 with 6GB), running dBpoweramp [64bit] 15.3. If this is a known problem that's fixed in the current release, I'll happily upgrade.

The last fast rips were done on Februari 7th, and according to the Update History of Windows, no Feature Updates or Quality Updates were installed between then and now. Only a Definition Update for Windows Defender.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Is there any info (logs, ...) that I can provide, or things I can try?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Administrator

Re: Very slow ripping all of a sudden

AccurateRip.com is down (perhaps due to a power surge whilst a huge storm passed). We bring it back up in the next 10 minutes after running some checks.

Re: Very slow ripping all of a sudden

Looks that was it; problem solved, and I'm back to ripping at speed again