title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: High Precision Event Timer (HPET)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

High Precision Event Timer (HPET)

A rather specific tech question for Spoon, though I may have already answered this for myself. (But I believe in being thorough)

Does dbPoweramp make use of HPET?

Being on a Ryzen 7200X [ASRock X470 chipset Taichi mobo], I've been hunting down little glitches in Windows 10 Pro and found that some are solved by disabling Fast Boot (mainly pro audio stability) and nearly all the the rest by disabling HPET.
    Not all Ryzen users seem to be in agreement on this issue. But, it was a known compatibility issue with launch of the first series of Ryzen chips; however it was apparently declared resolved after that, though I'm far from alone in still having to nix HPET to make things work as intended.

As you can read, I've already disabled it, and things seem to be okay -- and some discs that would rip with first track as silence are fine now. Buuut, I know I'm still making only initial observations and may find new trouble later. So, not wanting to screw things up in some obscure fashion, I figure it best to get an official answer.
    Last edited by artisan002; 02-06-2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Decided to add tags

Administrator

Re: High Precision Event Timer (HPET)

I do not think we do.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: High Precision Event Timer (HPET)

Ah, good. So, I was getting errors at a lower level. I figured as much, but wanted to make sure.

This nasty little stunt with HPET has been a real problem. With it on, a number of discs failed to rip the first track, but in a weird way; they had the right length and metadata, but were pure silence. I noticed I was getting all red CRC values, too. But, if the CRC trouble lives at so low a level as the OS and/or device driver, that would make sense. Flipping it off in the EFI-BIOS &*9472; and turning it off via Command Line &*9472; I'm back to all green and those problem discs are all working out fine. I will, however, have to re-archive every single CD I've put into my system since probably November, though.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, btw. And, as always, I love the hell out of this software. So, thanks for that. Always.