title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper reads and then removes CD-Text and CD-ISRC, leaving metadata fields blank

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Unhappy CD Ripper reads and then removes CD-Text and CD-ISRC, leaving metadata fields blank

Version 16.6: CD Ripper apparently first reads CD-Text and CD-ISRC, then looks for metadata on the web. Not finding anything on the web, it removes the originally found metadata that was on the disc.

Going back and requesting reads from CD-Text and CD-ISRC restores the originally-found metadata, and I am able to proceed from there. But why does CD Ripper overwrite (delete) the metadata that it had already located on the disc? I would think that that metadata, having been put there by the artist/label, should have priority over other data, as it is surely the most likely to be correct.

I reported this odd behavior months ago but it still persists. This results in some of our volunteers resorting to entering missing data by hand rather than using what was available on the CD. Besides, it's frustrating to have to deal with this time and time again.

Dennis, aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper reads and then removes CD-Text and CD-ISRC, leaving metadata fields bla

Quote Originally Posted by d2b View Post
    Version 16.6: CD Ripper apparently first reads CD-Text and CD-ISRC, then looks for metadata on the web. Not finding anything on the web, it removes the originally found metadata that was on the disc.

Going back and requesting reads from CD-Text and CD-ISRC restores the originally-found metadata, and I am able to proceed from there. But why does CD Ripper overwrite (delete) the metadata that it had already located on the disc? I would think that that metadata, having been put there by the artist/label, should have priority over other data, as it is surely the most likely to be correct.

I reported this odd behavior months ago but it still persists. This results in some of our volunteers resorting to entering missing data by hand rather than using what was available on the CD. Besides, it's frustrating to have to deal with this time and time again.

Dennis, aka "d2b"
    I wonder if this explains something I have seen recently. Almost immediately the correct metadata gets filled in by the ripper. But a few seconds later it disappears and is replaced by unknown.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Smile Re: CD Ripper reads and then removes CD-Text and CD-ISRC, leaving metadata fields bla

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I wonder if this explains something I have seen recently. Almost immediately the correct metadata gets filled in by the ripper. But a few seconds later it disappears and is replaced by unknown.
    That is exactly what happens! If it does happen to you, try selecting "Retrieve Metadata from..." which is the second item on the Menu. Then choose "CD-Text." If that brings back some of the disappeared metadata, then do it again but instead choose "CD-ISRC" to get that information if it is there.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of CDs that actually do contain the ISRC codes when I thought before that they were not assigned.

Besides the benefit of a secure ripping option, a CD ripping program should be able to quickly locate and deliver as much accurate metadata as available, most specifically that which the artist/label/manufacturer have handed to us on a (pardon the pun) silver platter!

Dennis, aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper reads and then removes CD-Text and CD-ISRC, leaving metadata fields bla

Thanks. I will test that. This is definitely a bug.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I first reported this problem on August 30, 2018 and then again on December 4, 2018. Spoon replied on December 5 that they would test it prior to the next update.

Dennis, aka "d2b"

Administrator

We spent a day testing this, and found zero bugs. The ISRC code was read and not replaced by a later PerfectMeta update. Perhaps uncheck the providers so only have ISRC and the 4 main selected then test.