title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Item Not Found" error when attempting to copy flac files from one drive to another?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Item Not Found" error when attempting to copy flac files from one drive to anoth

Quote Originally Posted by Theleb_Kaarna View Post
    I'm still personally leaning more towards the culprit being a registry and/or permissions issue with the individual files/folders.
    There is no problem with the source or the destination (which I make 252 characters long) filepath\filename lengths.

Also, both files exist in the same source folder, so I would expect them to have the same (inherited) NTFS permissions.

This issue is odd indeed. Personally, I suspect a problem with folder and/or drive and would delete the offending folder and re-rip the CD.
    Last edited by mville; 01-31-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added filepath\filename length

Re: "Item Not Found" error when attempting to copy flac files from one drive to anoth

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Possibly the filenames are too long for the new drive or explorer.
    Dude, you Nailed IT. ISSUE FIXED!!!

Just finished up working with my company's IT and we confirmed the file length AND folder lengths TOGETHER had too many characters cumulative. I've known for some time the max number of characters in explorer is 255. I thought that was just for the filename itself. Seems the number of characters in the folders the files are stored in are factored into this number too. We just did some testing with a few of the "offending" files/folders and the files are recognized again by shortening the total number of characters. I'm hoping this is all there is to it. Will post back if not.

In the mean time, thanks guys for all your help and suggestions=)

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    There is no problem with the source or the destination (which I make 252 characters long) filepath\filename lengths.

Also, both files exist in the same source folder, so I would expect them to have the same (inherited) NTFS permissions.

This issue is odd indeed. Personally, I suspect a problem with folder and/or drive and would delete the offending folder and re-rip the CD.
    Just now seeing your post. Looks like it is the file/folder length in number of characters (maybe the file extension also adds to this number?). You can see my response to Spoon. Hopefully this issue is resolved. Will post back if not. Thanks again very much for your help=)

dBpoweramp Guru

Last edited by mville; 02-01-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: had to edit the link due to the annoyance, where the forum code replaces hash characters with asterisk characters

Wow, very helpful, thank you for the link!

Just wanted to post back and follow-up to share that after extensive testing, my (former) issue is now 100% resolved. Thanks again everyone for all your input, much appreciated!

To sum-up, keep your entire filename and folder path name (cumulative) under 255 (252) total characters in length for any given song file. Or even better - under 250 characters just to be sure.

Also, what I discovered is if you do happen to exceed this limit for a given song file, to correct the issue you must begin by shortening the the number of characters in the folder(s) first before attempting to shorten the filename itself. The reason is if the file shows "0 bytes" due to this issue, Explorer apparently doesn't recognize the file as being present so attempting to alter it gets you nowhere. Again, adjust the folder(s) first, then the file(s). I found that once the folder names were sufficiently shortened, Explorer instantly recognized the files again (ie all the bytes were restored).

I'm hugely relieved I don't have to re-rip anything.
    Cheers!

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for the followup. By the way, I use the maxlength function in my dynamic naming string (with 240 as max just for some headroom if I do minor editing later or put something in a longer named parent folder). This insures I don't accidentally create files that are too long.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Thanks for the followup. By the way, I use the maxlength function in my dynamic naming string (with 240 as max just for some headroom if I do minor editing later or put something in a longer named parent folder). This insures I don't accidentally create files that are too long.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
    Wow, thanks, that's awesome! I use the default dynamic naming string: [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title].

So to utilize this functionality, I can just put "[MAXLENGTH]240," (or whatever value I choose) at the front of the string, so it reads (without quotes): "[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]", and this will limit the filename to 240 characters max?

If so, I assume the characters used in the "Album Artist" and "Album" folders naming count towards (are subtract from) this 240 max character number?

dBpoweramp Guru

add [] at the end to close the statement for maxlength. and yes, artist and album folder names count in length. I use:

Hi Theleb_Kaarna
    read your discussion about the "Item Not Found" error message with interest, as I have same issues on windows 10 machine. I have experimented with creating new-different Path-folders, with random success in making files-songs movable.
    am new to forum and still fumbling.
    awaiting more discussion
    Cheers
    Manfred G

I have an idea, sometimes, even though you can't see it, characters from a different language set get used in file names, also sometime - is not correct and I have has issues with people who use the wrong apostrophe `instead of ' or similar. When I come across this kind of problem, open Notebook, copy and paste the file name in, and copy and paste it back to the track, when all else has failed, this has worked for me.