title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Composer/Songwriter

Composer/Songwriter

Older rips have composer info and newer rips of the same disc have NO composer info. Is there something I need to check for this or is it that the metadata providers don't supply that anymore? I'm believe I'm using 15.3

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Composer/Songwriter

Quote Originally Posted by antule14 View Post
    Older rips have composer info and newer rips of the same disc have NO composer info. Is there something I need to check for this or is it that the metadata providers don't supply that anymore? I'm believe I'm using 15.3

Thanks.
    it's all about the metadata providers. Be sure and tick on the option to see all the various metadata provider data in the ripper screen. some of the sources have composer info and some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    it's all about the metadata providers. Be sure and tick on the option to see all the various metadata provider data in the ripper screen. some of the sources have composer info and some don't.
    Hmm.....then I'm guessing that AMG was the only one that had composer data for the disc that I put in since the only change between now and when I originally ripped is that AMG is no longer used. I show the 3 remaining providers, FreeDB, musicbrainz and GD3 and no composer data under any of them.

Thanks for that tip. I never noticed that check box for "View Track/Artists". Too bad you have to check it every time you go in there though.

Tried Led Zeppelin I and IV today, nothing there either. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is getting composer info using 15.3

I'm really thinking that composer just isn't supported by the 3 remaining meta providers. If someone has any luck with a common CD on 15.3 let me know.

Administrator

GD3 has composer, just tried a popular disc in R16 (also Discogs has it, but is not present in your version)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    GD3 has composer, just tried a popular disc in R16 (also Discogs has it, but is not present in your version)
    What disc did you try? I'm batting .000 so far

Administrator

It was Watch the Throne from Jay-Z and Kanye West.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It was Watch the Throne from Jay-Z and Kanye West.
    Well, not my kind of music so I don't own that one, but thanks for replying.

I'll try a few others though.

Funny, I went to GD3 website and according to them composer is only supported on classical titles. https://www.getdigitaldata.com/GD3Metadata.aspx

Album Artist
    Album Title
    Track Titles
    Track Artists
    Track Numbers
    Track Durations
    Genre
    Cover Art
    Publisher
    Year Published
    Compilation Flag
    Composer (Classical Genre)
    Conductor (Classical Genre)
    Orchestra (Classical Genre)
    Last edited by antule14; 01-29-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Not my style of music, so I don't own that one, but thanks for replying back.

In looking at the GD3 web site though it says that composer is only supported for classical titles.

CD Metadata

Album Artist
    Album Title
    Track Titles
    Track Artists
    Track Numbers
    Track Durations
    Genre
    Cover Art
    Publisher
    Year Published
    Compilation Flag
    Composer (Classical Genre)
    Conductor (Classical Genre)
    Orchestra (Classical Genre)

dBpoweramp Guru

Just checked a few recent rips with current 16.x ripper version and some pop/rock/blues music rips did pull up composer field information. Most did not, but some did.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Just checked a few recent rips with current 16.x ripper version and some pop/rock/blues music rips did pull up composer field information. Most did not, but some did.
    Yeah, I'm thinking the loss of AMG is the cause. I've tried 3 discs now that had composer info on my older rips and none of them are populating when I try now. Thought maybe the 16.x version with Discogs might help, but looks like even that isn't doing much better. Thanks!

Not a super big deal but my car stereo, where I do 90% of my listening, displays that info if it's there and it's always interesting for me to see song writers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by antule14 View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking the loss of AMG is the cause. I've tried 3 discs now that had composer info on my older rips and none of them are populating when I try now. Thought maybe the 16.x version with Discogs might help, but looks like even that isn't doing much better. Thanks!

Not a super big deal but my car stereo, where I do 90% of my listening, displays that info if it's there and it's always interesting for me to see song writers.
    On things that I might really care about, I just manually enter the composer before finalizing the rip.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I think it all boils down to people getting lazy. I see a lot of crap out there now. I never really cared about the composer tag, but lately I am seeing many of the composers are being duplicated in several tracks, I guess just out of laziness on whoever is entering the disc. So now I have been entering composer/writer data.

Right at this moment, I am ripping a 9 disc box set and none of the 158 tracks has composer/writer info. I am typing them all in myself, then submitting to FreeDB. In Fact, one of the discs in the set has NO INFO, no track name, no artist, no disc name. I had to type the entire thing in. Funny thing is, the disc was in AccurateRip (But only (1) other person apparently ripped the disc. Discs 3 through 9 also only show a 1). I also see, most of the time, where there are multiple composers/writers, they only enter the last persons name. I have to correct those as well.

My issue is the years. I don't think any of the providers support individual track years. I was able to download an excel database of the hot 100 from 1955 to 2013 - there are about 27,000 songs in the database. Between that and Discogs, I spent roughly 2 weeks going through my entire library making sure each and every track had a year - either release year or first charted year. Now I make sure to enter all of the years before I rip a disc.
    Last edited by chippe01; 01-29-2019 at 09:19 PM.