title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Composer/Songwriter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antule14
    • Jan 2019

Composer/Songwriter

Older rips have composer info and newer rips of the same disc have NO composer info. Is there something I need to check for this or is it that the metadata providers don't supply that anymore? I'm believe I'm using 15.3

Thanks.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Composer/Songwriter

Originally posted by antule14
    Older rips have composer info and newer rips of the same disc have NO composer info. Is there something I need to check for this or is it that the metadata providers don't supply that anymore? I'm believe I'm using 15.3

Thanks.
    it's all about the metadata providers. Be sure and tick on the option to see all the various metadata provider data in the ripper screen. some of the sources have composer info and some don't.

Comment

• antule14
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by garym
      it's all about the metadata providers. Be sure and tick on the option to see all the various metadata provider data in the ripper screen. some of the sources have composer info and some don't.
      Hmm.....then I'm guessing that AMG was the only one that had composer data for the disc that I put in since the only change between now and when I originally ripped is that AMG is no longer used. I show the 3 remaining providers, FreeDB, musicbrainz and GD3 and no composer data under any of them.

Thanks for that tip. I never noticed that check box for "View Track/Artists". Too bad you have to check it every time you go in there though.

Comment

• antule14
        • Jan 2019

Tried Led Zeppelin I and IV today, nothing there either. I'd be interested to see if anyone else is getting composer info using 15.3

I'm really thinking that composer just isn't supported by the 3 remaining meta providers. If someone has any luck with a common CD on 15.3 let me know.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

GD3 has composer, just tried a popular disc in R16 (also Discogs has it, but is not present in your version)
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• antule14
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Spoon
            GD3 has composer, just tried a popular disc in R16 (also Discogs has it, but is not present in your version)
            What disc did you try? I'm batting .000 so far

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

It was Watch the Throne from Jay-Z and Kanye West.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• antule14
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Spoon
                It was Watch the Throne from Jay-Z and Kanye West.
                Well, not my kind of music so I don't own that one, but thanks for replying.

I'll try a few others though.

Funny, I went to GD3 website and according to them composer is only supported on classical titles. https://www.getdigitaldata.com/GD3Metadata.aspx

Album Artist
                Album Title
                Track Titles
                Track Artists
                Track Numbers
                Track Durations
                Genre
                Cover Art
                Publisher
                Year Published
                Compilation Flag
                Composer (Classical Genre)
                Conductor (Classical Genre)
                Orchestra (Classical Genre)
                Last edited by antule14; 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• antule14
                  • Jan 2019

Not my style of music, so I don't own that one, but thanks for replying back.

In looking at the GD3 web site though it says that composer is only supported for classical titles.

CD Metadata

Album Artist
                  Album Title
                  Track Titles
                  Track Artists
                  Track Numbers
                  Track Durations
                  Genre
                  Cover Art
                  Publisher
                  Year Published
                  Compilation Flag
                  Composer (Classical Genre)
                  Conductor (Classical Genre)
                  Orchestra (Classical Genre)

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Just checked a few recent rips with current 16.x ripper version and some pop/rock/blues music rips did pull up composer field information. Most did not, but some did.

Comment

• antule14
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by garym
                      Just checked a few recent rips with current 16.x ripper version and some pop/rock/blues music rips did pull up composer field information. Most did not, but some did.
                      Yeah, I'm thinking the loss of AMG is the cause. I've tried 3 discs now that had composer info on my older rips and none of them are populating when I try now. Thought maybe the 16.x version with Discogs might help, but looks like even that isn't doing much better. Thanks!

Not a super big deal but my car stereo, where I do 90% of my listening, displays that info if it's there and it's always interesting for me to see song writers.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by antule14
                        Yeah, I'm thinking the loss of AMG is the cause. I've tried 3 discs now that had composer info on my older rips and none of them are populating when I try now. Thought maybe the 16.x version with Discogs might help, but looks like even that isn't doing much better. Thanks!

Not a super big deal but my car stereo, where I do 90% of my listening, displays that info if it's there and it's always interesting for me to see song writers.
                        On things that I might really care about, I just manually enter the composer before finalizing the rip.

Comment

• chippe01
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Dec 2018

I think it all boils down to people getting lazy. I see a lot of crap out there now. I never really cared about the composer tag, but lately I am seeing many of the composers are being duplicated in several tracks, I guess just out of laziness on whoever is entering the disc. So now I have been entering composer/writer data.

Right at this moment, I am ripping a 9 disc box set and none of the 158 tracks has composer/writer info. I am typing them all in myself, then submitting to FreeDB. In Fact, one of the discs in the set has NO INFO, no track name, no artist, no disc name. I had to type the entire thing in. Funny thing is, the disc was in AccurateRip (But only (1) other person apparently ripped the disc. Discs 3 through 9 also only show a 1). I also see, most of the time, where there are multiple composers/writers, they only enter the last persons name. I have to correct those as well.

My issue is the years. I don't think any of the providers support individual track years. I was able to download an excel database of the hot 100 from 1955 to 2013 - there are about 27,000 songs in the database. Between that and Discogs, I spent roughly 2 weeks going through my entire library making sure each and every track had a year - either release year or first charted year. Now I make sure to enter all of the years before I rip a disc.
                          Last edited by chippe01; 01-30-2019, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>