title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Naming String to Prevent "Unknown Artist"/No Metadata Rips from Overwriting

Need Naming String to Prevent "Unknown Artist"/No Metadata Rips from Overwriting

I've been through every post that I thought would address this issue and I'm probably not smart enough to modify the Naming string to prevent batch rips from overwriting track files. The closest I've come is the string below but it creates a new folder for each track, when I only want a new folder for each CD with no meta data. Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

[ifequals]artist,Unknown Artist, Unknown Artist[unique]/[][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

Administrator

Re: Need Naming String to Prevent "Unknown Artist"/No Metadata Rips from Overwriting

You should use backslashes, not forward slashes for folder seperators.

Re: Need Naming String to Prevent "Unknown Artist"/No Metadata Rips from Overwriting

Okay, but that doesn't solve the problem of rips being overwritten when the [album artist] = Unknown Artist. Isn't this a bug in the program? I can't see why someone would want to overwrite.

Can you please show me how the Naming field needs to be setup (actual code).

I took the default:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

and I tried incorporating this, which you posted in another thread:

[IFEQUALS]artist,Unknown Artist,Unknown Artist ([cddb_id)[]

but I'm not sure where it goes and if anything else needs to be added or removed.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pcascio View Post
    Okay, but that doesn't solve the problem of rips being overwritten when the [album artist] = Unknown Artist. Isn't this a bug in the program? I can't see why someone would want to overwrite.

Can you please show me how the Naming field needs to be setup (actual code).
    By [album artist] = Unknown Artist, do you mean you are populating the album artist tag with Unknown Artist or do you mean the album artist tag is blank/empty?

I took the default:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

and I tried incorporating this, which you posted in another thread:

[IFEQUALS]artist,Unknown Artist,Unknown Artist ([cddb_id)[]

but I'm not sure where it goes and if anything else needs to be added or removed.

Thanks
    The [IFEQUALS] function you have given above conatins 3 [ (left square brackets), but only 2 ] (right square brackets). It also refers to artist and not album artist, which you refer to earlier. Is this correct?

Please can you confirm exactly what you are trying to achieve here. It really isn't clear from these posts, how you want to organize the folder\file structure for your ripped albums.

Sure, thanks. I have some CD's that have no metadata, hence Unknown ...

I want to ensure that each receives its own folder with a unique name so they don't get overwritten. I've struggled with this for hours trying to get it right. Any help would be appreciated.

Everything else works great and has given my old Bravo II a new life.

dBpoweramp Guru

The easiest way to solve this problem is to simply makeup an album artist and album name when you rip the "unknown artist/album" CD. Then the dynamic naming will create a unique Artist name or album name. (actually, you don't even need a unique artist name....you can use "Unknown Artist" for all the CDs. But you do need a unique ALBUM name, so that all those tracks end up in a separate folder under the "Uknown Artist" folder.

edit: perhaps you don't realize that when you insert a CD for which metadata is not found, that on the ripping screen you can manually enter any or all metadata *before* the rip begins.

Administrator

Try:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][IFEQUALS]artist,Unknown Artist, [cddb_id][][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

dBpoweramp Guru

Sure, thanks. I have some CD's that have no metadata, hence Unknown ...

I want to ensure that each receives its own folder with a unique name so they don't get overwritten. I've struggled with this for hours trying to get it right. Any help would be appreciated.
    Prior to ripping in CDRipper, manually add the standard tags e.g. artist, title, track number, album, album artist, disc number etc.

This way you will not get overwrites and it will help with navigating/playing albums in your chosen media player.

Mville, thanks but I'm using a Batch Ripper so I want this to work unattended.

Spoon, that did it.
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][IFEQUALS]artist,Unknown Artist, [cddb_id][][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

Each folder has a unique name with the CDDB_ID number. So I can understand this code better, please tell me:

1. Why are there 3 [][][], yet only [] after, [IFCOMP]Various Artists[]? And none after [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist]

2. Does everything prior to the first \ operate on the Artist name. The next the Album title; then track?

Thanks for all the help.

Administrator

Each [] closes a statement, the first [] (of the 3) closes [IFEQUALS], 2nd [] closes [IF!COMP] and last closes [IFVALUE]
    2. Yes

I'm beginning to understand this, and I really appreciate your help. However, there appears to be 4 statements. [IFCOMP]Various Artists[] includes the closing []. Was it optional to close it then, rather than at the end with [][][][]?

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm beginning to understand this, and I really appreciate your help. However, there appears to be 4 statements. [IFCOMP]Various Artists[] includes the closing []. Was it optional to close it then, rather than at the end with [][][][]?
    It is not optional. Each function e.g. [IFCOMP]string[], has a closing []. In the example here, there are nested functions (functions within a function) within the first [IFVALUE] function, hence the syntax.

Thanks

I'm having a similar problem with the Batch Converter. My usage case is that I use the CD ripper to rip to 16-bit FLAC, then use the Batch Converter to convert to WMA-Lossless and MP3 256. Whenever I rip new CDs, I run the Batch Converter starting at the root of where my FLAC files are stored, but I have noticed that in subsequent converts, it *always* reconverts everything, and overwrites the existing files. This wouldn't bother me so much except that it takes many hours (like five) for the conversion to complete, even if I have just ripped a handful of CDs. I'd like to find a way to configure the Batch Converter to *never* overwrite existing files. When starting the Batch Convert, there was a message near the bottom of the dialog box that indicated that the destination files would be unconditionally overwritten, or something like that.

Another problem I have found is that I configured the Batch Converter to suspend/sleep the machine when the conversion was complete. I noticed, however, that when the conversion was finished, the machine did not sleep. Instead, when I closed the program, it then suspended the machine! It should ideally suspend the machine without the user having to close the program. I could just manually suspend the machine myself otherwise.

Administrator

If using multi encoder yes it is like this (overwrite without asking), note R16 will address issues like this with a DSP effect 'Conditional Encoding'.