title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Editing tag data after CD is ripped and then ejected

Editing tag data after CD is ripped and then ejected

Here is the scenario:
    I insert a CD and the track names are empty and I rip the CD then eject it. Later on, I find the names of the tracks and want to edit the track names.
    How can I do that in CD ripper? (if at all?). It is analogous to opening up a file browser and editing the file names.

If CD ripper doesn't support editing tag data after the CD is ripped, what are some ways to do this? Go into the files browser and fix them at each level in the file hierarchy? It would be nice to see (and edit) the tags in CD ripper...
    Thanks for help/suggestions

J

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Editing tag data after CD is ripped and then ejected

You wouldn't use CD Ripper, but you would use the dbpa EDIT ID TAGS part of the software package. Right click on the files in windows explorer and you should see this option.

But why not just edit the tags in CD ripper *before* you rip the CD. When info is unknown, click on the red tag icon at top menu, then you'll see every track on a page where you can enter all the info manually and then this is used when ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You wouldn't use CD Ripper, but you would use the dbpa EDIT ID TAGS part of the software package. Right click on the files in windows explorer and you should see this option.

But why not just edit the tags in CD ripper *before* you rip the CD. When info is unknown, click on the red tag icon at top menu, then you'll see every track on a page where you can enter all the info manually and then this is used when ripping.
    Thank you for the pointer which to me was not intuitively obvious...and neither is exactly how to edit the fields because when I edit the fields through the interface, nothing seems to change when I look at tracks in the windoz file browser. Still trying to figure out how to work the editor....

WRT editing the tags *before* ripping...well duh...I usually do but these are disks from Greece and one of three things occur: 1) the tag info is in Greek (and I want to respell them in English text (and the translation is not readily available)), 2) the tag info translates to garbage characters and I don't have the CD jacket to xlate the tracks - but want to rip the cd none the less) or 3) absolutely no track tag info is presented and I have to locate the CD jacket and translate it at a later time.

Still trying to figure out the correct use of the tag editor...should I open the file browser and 'start' at the artist name? go down a level to the album title? or down further to the individual track?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by three_jeeps View Post
    Thank you for the pointer which to me was not intuitively obvious...and neither is exactly how to edit the fields because when I edit the fields through the interface, nothing seems to change when I look at tracks in the windoz file browser. Still trying to figure out how to work the editor....

WRT editing the tags *before* ripping...well duh...I usually do but these are disks from Greece and one of three things occur: 1) the tag info is in Greek (and I want to respell them in English text (and the translation is not readily available)), 2) the tag info translates to garbage characters and I don't have the CD jacket to xlate the tracks - but want to rip the cd none the less) or 3) absolutely no track tag info is presented and I have to locate the CD jacket and translate it at a later time.

Still trying to figure out the correct use of the tag editor...should I open the file browser and 'start' at the artist name? go down a level to the album title? or down further to the individual track?
    When you edit the tag fields this is editing the metadata (tags). Windows explorer is showing the file names. These were created with your original ripping and tag field names using the naming string (lower left corner of ripper screen, file naming, then "set" button). If you want to rename the file names to match the new metadata, you will need to run something like "convert to" the utility DSP "Arrange Audio". You will set up a naming string just like in the ripper, but when batch converting to "arrange audio" it will rename (and reorganize if you wish) the the files with new names based on updated metadata.

For tag editor, I think you have to go to the folder containing all the tracks (the album name folder), then select all of these and right click to get to edit ID tags. If you select multiple tracks you can only edit the items that are the same for all tracks (e.g., artist). To edit individual track names, you'll need to click on each track. This is why doing your manual editing using the RED icon in the CD Ripper Screen is much easier. You can do this for the entire CD on a single screen. (see picture)

Capture.JPG

dBpoweramp Guru

Also, the renaming using new tag info with ARRANGE AUDIO is accessed by right clicking the album folder name and then choosing dbpa batch converter. (note, you can select a parent directory and rename/rearrange your entire music folder with all your artists and albums. but make sure you know what you're doing first). Then select CONVERT TO and choose ARRANGE AUDIO. You might have to install the DSP "Arrange Audio" from dbpa CODEC CENTRAL web page. See the picture and you can see how the naming is set to use new tag info. I've also set it to overright the existing files if leaving in the same folders.

Capture2.JPG

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary and Jeeps, using the tag editor, if you right click (in Windows) on all or a group of selected track files in a folder, and select "Edit ID Tag" you can edit a tag either in all the tracks (one entry for all the tracks) or each individual track by selecting the track you want by clicking on the left or right carets (arrows) at either end of the entry at the top right of the box that initially says "all files" As you repeatedly click on the carets it will change to "Track 1 of 11" "Track 2 of 11", etc. And if you initially select just some of the track files, the "all files" selection only changes the selected files. Useful on compilation albums where there are lets say two different artists, each on half the tracks. and the artist entries are messed up. Select just the tracks with artist one, use the "all files" selection to correct artist one, then select just the tracks with artist two and correct them.

Note this will correct the tags but not the file names that may have been earlier derived from the wrong artist names. That must be done separately, either using Arrange Audio or similar functions in mp3tag, or manually in Windows Explorer.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Gary and Jeeps, using the tag editor, if you right click (in Windows) on all or a group of selected track files in a folder, and select "Edit ID Tag" you can edit a tag either in all the tracks (one entry for all the tracks) or each individual track by selecting the track you want by clicking on the left or right carets (arrows) at either end of the entry at the top right of the box that initially says "all files" As you repeatedly click on the carets it will change to "Track 1 of 11" "Track 2 of 11", etc. And if you initially select just some of the track files, the "all files" selection only changes the selected files. Useful on compilation albums where there are lets say two different artists, each on half the tracks. and the artist entries are messed up. Select just the tracks with artist one, use the "all files" selection to correct artist one, then select just the tracks with artist two and correct them.

Note this will correct the tags but not the file names that may have been earlier derived from the wrong artist names. That must be done separately, either using Arrange Audio or similar functions in mp3tag, or manually in Windows Explorer.
    Thanks schmidj. (I don't actually use these functions in dbpa as I've long had a process in place for modifying tags or file names (or folder organization) using mp3tag.)