title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received an AR message but still Secure

Received an AR message but still Secure

What does it mean when you get an AR error, yet it still says 'Secure' with the green check mark?
    The answer was not in http://www.dbpoweramp.com/Help/dMC/CDhelp.htm
    Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Received an AR message but still Secure

It means the CD drive thinks the rip is error free, however the CD drive cannot be relied upon always. AccurateRip can be is the confidence is 2 or more.

So are there any settings that I can change that might eliminate the error?

dBpoweramp Guru

It could be that it doesn't match the AR because your CD is from a different pressing, and that pressing is not yet in the AR database.

But it's only 2 of 19 tracks that have the error. The others would be erroneous too if the pressing were different, wouldn't they?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hummer76 View Post
    But it's only 2 of 19 tracks that have the error. The others would be erroneous too if the pressing were different, wouldn't they?
    good point. With troublesome rips, I typically rip on a different drive to see if it works better. More often than not, a problem rip on one optical drive is just fine on another. (and these alternative drives can be cheap drives....price is not correlated with whether a specific drive will work better with some CDs. I use old drives pulled from computers they are trashing at work....)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    good point. With troublesome rips, I typically rip on a different drive to see if it works better. More often than not, a problem rip on one optical drive is just fine on another. (and these alternative drives can be cheap drives....price is not correlated with whether a specific drive will work better with some CDs. I use old drives pulled from computers they are trashing at work....)
    But before I do that, is there any change to the settings that might work? If so, what should I change?
    Currently, I use essentially the recommended settings for non-C2 pointer drives.

dBpoweramp Guru

But before I do that, is there any change to the settings that might work? If so, what should I change?
    Currently, I use essentially the recommended settings for non-C2 pointer drives.
    I can't think of any. I use the basic recommended settings for secure, non-C2 drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It means the CD drive thinks the rip is error free, however the CD drive cannot be relied upon always. AccurateRip can be is the confidence is 2 or more.
    But if I don't actually hear any problem with these CD tracks containing the error, then the ripped audio files should be OK to use, shouldn't they? They won't cause a problem that I'm unaware of, will they?

dBpoweramp Guru

But if I don't actually hear any problem with these CD tracks containing the error, then the ripped audio files should be OK to use, shouldn't they? They won't cause a problem that I'm unaware of, will they?
    No, no problems. They will be fine. It happens sometimes. But the mismatch may be a frame or two (micro second) and not audible.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    No, no problems. They will be fine. It happens sometimes. But the mismatch may be a frame or two (micro second) and not audible.
    So this is all much ado about nothing? My ear is the final arbiter of the validity of the rip, isn't it?

dBpoweramp Guru

My ear is the final arbiter of the validity of the rip, isn't it?
    Only in case of a rip, which isn't accurate.

Dat Ei

So this is all much ado about nothing? My ear is the final arbiter of the validity of the rip, isn't it?
    It is, but if you're in the process of ripping your entire CD collection. One might not be able to listen to all the rips to ensure the ripping errors are not audible. Therefore I used secure ripping.
    When there are errors, a good clean of the CD can give a better result. Sometimes I even used Brasso to polish the CD (if it had scratches).

It is, but if you're in the process of ripping your entire CD collection. One might not be able to listen to all the rips to ensure the ripping errors are not audible. Therefore I used secure ripping. And AR database to ensure a good rip.
    When there are errors, a good clean of the CD can give a better result. Sometimes I even used Brasso to polish the CD (if it had scratches).

I had previously used WMP to rip my CD's to wav (i got a new car stereo and wanted all my music without the hassle of physical disks).
    to the credit of the person above, what i found was skips that WMP did not detect or otherwise report.
    so i got DBPowerAmp and re-ripped everything, and a quarter my disks seemed to be corrupt in some fashion or another. DBPowerAmp let me know, so already its WAY better than WMP for ripping imho.

One thing stumped me though. one of my favorite disks couldn't rip the last song, i also got the "X AR (1) i Secure".
    i wanted a flawless copy. so i bought the disk again. same error/same track on 2 different physical disks! why?
    idk if we are allowed to put disk information in this forum, so certain information has been replaced with generic info.

Information ripping to Wave, 'Track 16' to 'E:\path\name.wav'
    Track 16: Ripped LBA 322282 to 342557 (4:30) in 4:21. Filename: path\name.wav
    AccurateRip: Inaccurate (confidence 1) Secure (Warning) [Pass 1 & 2, Re-Rip 30 Frames]
    CRC32: EBEC78E4 AccurateRip CRC: F9F9CC6F (CRCv2) [DiscID: xxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xx]