title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with files after ripping?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

What to do with files after ripping?

Decided to purchase the app and a CD ROM drive for my iMac. Plan on burning 700 cd's to flac putting them on my Western Digital MyCloud 3 TB network drive.

I ripped a few with my windows PC (EAC) and what I get are a bunch of flac files, metadata cue files, and a jpg art files.

My question is how to organize all this files on the NAS so they are contained stream-able CD's.

With 700 CD's you will have a mass of files.

How do you build playlist for streaming?

Is there an app that for this.

I am not sure what to do with these files as I move through the ripping process.

How does DBpoweramp store the CD's? Are they ripped to a folder per CD?

Comments,

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: What to do with files after ripping?

You decide in the ripping software, where you want the files to be output to. Usually this is 1 folder per disc or 1 folder per album, containing all tracks and artwork.

It is also a good idea to tag you audio files prior to ripping, as most audio player/server software uses the tags to organise their libraries.

dBpoweramp Guru

I gave you an example dynamic naming string and explained how to use it, with pictures. Did you not use it? See this thread:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ing-What-to-do

Also, where are you getting cue files. I don't think dbpa created cue files. Are you sure that you're not referring to files you created with cuetools or EAC? (and those programs allow for automatic file organization as well, but it has to be setup properly).
    Last edited by garym; 01-06-2019 at 09:18 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So I started using application to rip my CD's and now I am getting a list of FLAC files that get's bigger with each CD I rip. I could end up with 1000's of files in the Folder. Is this the best way to archive CD's. How do I get these files organized into a CD/Album Container so I do not have to look through all these files to play or stream. I was hoping that the APP did that for me.

Ideas???

dBpoweramp Guru

Did you not read garym's previous post?

I guess you need to read the help pages (that garym has given you), before trying to use the software.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I read all this information. Where is the setting that gives you 1 folder per disc or 1 folder per album, containing all tracks and artwork.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I am using the trial version. I see that a purchase gives you the full version.

What are the differences?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GVCCbob View Post
    I read all this information. Where is the setting that gives you 1 folder per disc or 1 folder per album, containing all tracks and artwork.
    CD Ripper >> Naming

garym has given you a few Naming examples. What do you currently have set in CD Ripper >> Naming?

dBpoweramp Guru

I am using the trial version. I see that a purchase gives you the full version.

What are the differences?
    dBpoweramp Versions

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Trial version is fully function version until it expires. I've given you the exact things you need to do to create artist/album folders when you rip, including a naming string you can paste in. (in fact I've given you this 2 or 3 times). Is there something you don't understand about the instructions I gave (with pictures!). If so, please ask a specific question about that. See for example this thread, particularly the pictures I posted in post *3.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post188526

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]

I am using this Naming string.

[MAXLENGTH]240,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]

It is producing a Folder with files only.

Attachment 2286

dBpoweramp Guru

So I started using application to rip my CD's and now I am getting a list of FLAC files that get's bigger with each CD I rip. I could end up with 1000's of files in the Folder. Is this the best way to archive CD's. How do I get these files organized into a CD/Album Container so I do not have to look through all these files to play or stream. I was hoping that the APP did that for me.

Ideas???
    It's really odd that this is happening because I recall even the default naming string has an artist/album setup. You would have to actually change something to dump all the ripped files into a single folder. Anyhow, see my message above and earlier messages.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So to dump all the ripped files into a single album folder I have to specify the path and the folder name for the album. There is no way to have those files ripped into a app generated album folder. So for every CD I rip I have to specify the Album Folder name and path.

Is that correct?

dBpoweramp Guru

So to dump all the ripped files into a single album folder I have to specify the path and the folder name for the album. There is no way to have those files ripped into a app generated album folder. So for every CD I rip I have to specify the Album Folder name and path.

Is that correct?
    No. Incorrect. Should be able to create artist/album folders automatically (something you setup ONE time up front in the naming string).

Based on the picture you posted, it appears that you've perhaps used the naming string I provided, but something else has gone wrong. For example, the files are all in the Compilations subdirectory (so you must have ticked the "compilations" item at the top of the ripping screen to treat this CD as a compilation. But as a compilation it should have put things in an ALBUM folder and it didn't. Do these files have an ALBUM tag filled in with info? Look at the metadata for the files to see. Right Click one of these files, then click EDIT ID TAG from the popup menu then take a screen shot of the popup that shows all the tag info for that file and post that here. I have a feeling that you're using my suggested naming string, but some of your tags are filled in so subfolders aren't getting created.

EDIT: And post another what the file folders and names look like (as with your earlier picture) but expand the column, because in your posting I can't really tell what folders or names are there as it is shortened with "...." in the middle of the name because column to narrow.
    Last edited by garym; 01-09-2019 at 05:21 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hopefully this is what you asked for?

Attachment 2287Attachment 2287

Thanks for the support again.